Village Media has stopped reporting daily provincial numbers and will be moving to weekly updates.
Here's the latest on new cases in Algoma
As of 2:45 p.m., Algoma Public Health has not reported any new cases of COVID-19.
SooToday is no longer reporting daily numbers, but will continue monitoring them and update as necessary.
Here are the latest COVID-19 numbers from Algoma Public Health, updated at 2:30 p.m. on May 19:
- 262,217 tested
- 8,392 confirmed *Note: As of Dec. 31, 2021, the province has limited COVID-19 PCR testing to the highest risk populations. Furthermore, some people with mild or asymptomatic infection may not seek testing. Algoma Public Health states that the numbers of confirmed cases are an underestimate of the actual number of people with COVID-19 in the Algoma region.
- 147 active cases
- 19 currently hospitalized
- 8,245 resolved
- 55 deceased
Algoma Public Health is reporting that recent results from additional laboratory testing have detected the following variants of concern in Algoma:
- B.1.1.7 (Alpha), first detected in the UK
- B.1.617.2 (Delta), first detected in India
- P.1 (Gamma), first detected in Brazil
- B.1.1.529 (Omicron), first detected in South Africa
Total confirmed cases by area of residence:
- 6,791 in Sault Ste. Marie and area
- 852 in central and east Algoma
- 456 in Elliot Lake and area
- 293 in north Algoma
Comparatively, in Chippewa County, which covers Sault Ste. Marie Mich. and surrounding area, the COVID-19 data as of May 18 states (note: case counts have been reset to reflect new reporting format. Cases from March 2020-Dec. 31, 2021: 5,275 total, 4641 recoveries, 69 deaths):
- 3,581 cumulative positives
- 3,808 cumulative recovered
- 34 deaths
- 3 cases currently hospitalized
Here's the latest on COVID-19 vaccinations in Algoma:
As of 3:30 p.m. on May 19:
% of total population that has received at least one dose 85.0% % of total population that have received at least two doses 81.8% % of eligible population (5+) that has received at least one dose 88.7% % of eligible population (5+) that have received at least two doses 85.4% % of adult population (18+) that have received at least one dose 91.2% % of adult population (18+) that have received at least two doses 89.0% % of adult population (18+) that have received at least three doses 62.5% % of youth population (12-17) that have received at least one dose 84.5% % of youth population (12-17) that has received at least two doses 81.4% % of child population (5-11) that have received at least one dose 60.4%
APH reported cases this week:
Active cases, hospitalizations drop in May 16 update.
Active cases drop, hospitalizations climb in May 17 update.
Region's 55th COVID-related death reported on May 18. (Last day SooToday posted daily numbers).
COVID cases among SAH staff, but signs of improvement exist
Health Dept. categorizes Chippewa County as high-risk COVID area
Case count within Chippewa County has increased by more than 100 over the last two weeks.