Skip to content
8.6 °Cforecast >
Mostly Cloudy

Carbon monoxide alarm clears McMeeken Centre

A new carbon monoxide call Sunday night follows a Feb. 28 incident that sent dozens to hospital
0
McMeeken Centre

A carbon monoxide alarm sparked an evacuation last night at the W.J. McMeeken Centre, less than two weeks after the centre re-opened following a carbon monoxide incident that sent dozens of people to hospital.

Sault Ste. Marie Fire Services was called to the Goulais Avenue arena just before 9 p.m. Sunday after receiving a call that a carbon monoxide detector was going off in a dressing room, said Platoon Chief Stan Martynuck.

Firefighters took readings measuring as high as 56 parts per million inside the city-owned facility.

"It's not high, but they have to investigate the cause to see where it's coming from," said Martynuck.

He said that investigation will be up to the building manager and Union Gas, which was called in last night.

Carbon monoxide readings during a Feb. 28 incident that prompted a 'code orange' response at Sault Area Hospital were in excess of 250 parts per million.

City officials closed the McMeeken for more than a week following that incident. It re-opened March 9 after the city completed repairs recommended by third-party investigators.



Comments


More Local News