According to Sault Police Constable Sonny Spina, St. Patrick’s Day in these parts is pretty much like any other day. At least when it comes to the need for police intervention.
He told SooToday that in an average day, area police officers respond to approximately 80 calls for service. Last year on March 17, there were 90 calls for service. 2015 saw 80 calls, and 2014 79 calls.
Somewhat of an outlier, just 54 calls for service were made in 2013. The fact that St. Patrick’s Day fell on a Monday that year likely had something to do with the low number.
Although Constable Spina is unaware of any R.I.D.E. programs scheduled for Friday evening as local citizens celebrate everything Irish, he said officers on duty will keep a close eye out for any potential trouble and/or impaired drivers.
“Whether an official R.I.D.E. program is set up or not doesn’t really change how aware of the fact they are that people are going to be out in increased numbers and are going to be consuming alcohol in increased numbers,” he said. “We want everyone to have a great time, but we want everyone to do that safely.”
Looking for something to do this St. Patrick’s Day? Here are some of the events taking place Friday evening:
- New American Pub - The Barn Board Trio performs from 3 to 7 p.m. followed by karaoke from 8 p.m. to midnight.
- Reggie's West - Flashback hits the stage to play from 9:30 p.m. to 1:30 a.m.
- Gore Street Cafe - Selina and Alicia Hunt will perform from 6 to 9 p.m.
- OLG Charity Casino - Obsession performs starting at 9 p.m.
- Loplops - Sudbury’s Murder Murder return to perform starting at 10 p.m.
- The Esquire Club - Coverfly plays from 9:30 p.m. to 1:30 a.m.
- Rockstar Bar - 3 Day Millionaires are set to play from 10:30 p.m. to 1:30 a.m.
- Reggie’s Place Tavern - Smokehouse performs starting at 9:30 p.m.
- LA Nightclub - Join DJ BigDaddyKewl for the grand opening of the Sault’s newest night club located at 89 Foster Drive. Music starts at 9 p.m.
- The Water Tower Pub - The Algorythms perform from 8 p.m. until midnight.