Skip to content

Small fire forces local Metro to toss fresh fruits and veggies

Metro grocery store on Northern Avenue dealt with a minor electrical fire at the hot chicken counter Saturday afternoon; because a fire extinguisher was used, Algoma Public Health ordered all produce nearby to be thrown in the garbage
The use of a fire extinguisher on Saturday to put out a small electrical fire was the cause of the empty produce shelves, seen Monday at Metro on Northern Avenue. By Tuesday the grocery store was once again fully stocked.

The produce shelves are restocked at the Metro grocery store on Northern Avenue after the response to a small fire required fresh fruits and vegetables to be thrown in the garbage.

Firefighters were dispatched to the store at about 5 p.m. on Saturday, said Aaron Gravelle, public education officer with the Sault Ste. Marie Fire Services.

"We were called out on Saturday to one of the Metro stores, however, there was no fire upon our arrival," said Gravelle. "A fire extinguisher had been discharged by an employee."

Metro spokesperson Stephanie Bonk confirmed there was a fire in the store on Saturday.

"It was a minor electrical fire at the hot chicken case and an employee used a fire extinguisher to put it out," said Bonk. "As a result, Algoma Public Health asked the store to discard all fresh product nearby."

Produce shelves in the store were mostly empty on Monday morning but were filled back up by the same time Tuesday.

What's next?

If you would like to apply to become a Verified reader Verified Commenter, please fill out this form.


Kenneth Armstrong

About the Author: Kenneth Armstrong

Kenneth Armstrong is a news reporter and photojournalist who regularly covers municipal government, business and politics and photographs events, sports and features.
Read more