The Huron-Superior Catholic District School Board has confirmed that board officials received a note this morning — delivered through photocopiers at its main office and a number of schools — advising them that the board's computer and phone systems had been hacked.
Spokesperson Jim Fitzpatrick was tight-lipped this afternoon when asked by SooToday if a ransom or any other demands were delivered to the school board through the communication.
"They just basically told us that they've been able to get into our system," he said.
As SooToday first reported, students at the English Catholic school board were sent home early Thursday and will remain off school tomorrow as the board works to resolve the cyberattack, which targeted the board’s computer and phone systems.
The website for the Huron Superior Catholic District School Board has been offline since Thursday morning, and school phones are not working.
The board says it will communicate with all employees and families through its school messenger platform and its social media platforms, according to a letter sent to parents Thursday.
Classes are now scheduled to resume Jan. 3.