Skip to content

Sault Fire Services has some reminders about carbon monoxide

Making sure fire-burning appliances and vents are checked often, barbecuing outside some ways to prevent CO poisoning, fire services says
2020-08-04 Sault Ste. Marie Fire Services Stock BC (1)
Sault Ste. Marie Fire Services file photo. Brad Coccimiglio/SooToday

Sault Ste. Marie Fire Services is reminding people to take preventative measures against carbon monoxide in their homes as Ontario's Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week approaches.

Checking fuel-burning appliances often, using gas and charcoal barbecues outside and keeping outside appliance vents clear are just some of the ways the fire department says CO poisioning can be minimized, as well as installing CO alarms in your home. 

The following is the full release: 

Ontario’s Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week runs from Nov. 1-7, and Sault Ste. Marie Fire Services reminds you to prevent carbon monoxide (CO) in your home by getting all fuel-burning appliances inspected annually.

“In Ontario, more than 65 per cent of injuries and deaths from CO occur in the home,” said Sault Ste. Marie Fire Chief Peter Johnson. “We want to make sure everyone is safe from CO. Get all fuel-burning appliances inspected by a registered contractor.”

Sault Ste. Marie Fire Services also reminds you to install CO alarms in your home if you have a fuel-burning appliance, a fireplace or an attached garage. Fuel-burning appliances can include furnaces, hot water heaters, gas or wood fireplaces, portable fuel-burning heaters and generators, barbeques, stoves and vehicles.

“You must have a working CO alarm adjacent to each sleeping area of the home if your home has a fuel-burning appliance, a fireplace or an attached garage,” said Public Education Officer Aaron Gravelle. “A carbon monoxide alarm is required to be installed adjacent to each sleeping area in the home.”

What is CO?

CO is known as the silent killer because it is a colourless, tasteless, and odourless gas that can be deadly.

CO is produced when fuels such as propane, gasoline, natural gas, heating oil or wood do not burn completely in fuel-burning appliances and devices such as furnaces, gas or wood fireplaces, hot water heaters, stoves, barbeques, portable fuel-burning heaters and generators and vehicles.

Prevent CO in your home:

Ensure fuel-burning appliances, chimneys and vents are cleaned and inspected annually.

Check that all outside appliance vents are not blocked.

Gas and charcoal barbeques should only be used outside, away from all doors, windows, vents, and other building openings. Never use barbeques inside garages, even if the garage doors are open.

Portable fuel-burning generators should only be used outdoors in well-ventilated areas away from windows, doors, vents and other building openings.

Ensure all portable fuel-burning heaters are vented properly, according to manufacturer’s instructions.

Reader Feedback