RURAL-AGRI INNOVATION NETWORK
The Rural-Agri Innovation Network, Johnson Farmers’ Market, United Way of SSM Area and Algoma Public Health are excited to host Bring Food Home, Ontario’s Regional Sustainable Food Systems Conference.
Bring Food Home is taking place across Ontario at multiple locations on Oct. 10, 2019 and will be hosted in Sault Ste. Marie at the Water Tower Inn.
Bring Food Home will engage producers, organizations, communities and leaders in discussions about how we can grow profitable and sustainable farm and food businesses in Algoma. The event will feature panel discussions and presentations throughout the day with the opportunity for event attendees to participate in the facilitated discussions.
The morning program will focus on the Canada Food Guide and what it means for agriculture and consumers leading into topics on planning a vibrant agriculture and food sector, rural and indigenous communities, engaging international talent in rural and urban regions and the recently formed Lake Superior Living Labs Network.
Panel members and presenters taking part in Bring Food Home include:
- Ron Bonnett, former president, Canadian Federation of Agriculture
- Dr. June Matthews, registered dietitian, prof. home economist, associate professor, School of Food and Nutritional Sciences Brescia University College
- Moe Garahan, executive director, Just Food, Ottawa
- Frank Belleau, Elder, Clear Sky Evening Star of the Crane Clan, Garden River
- Jessica McLaughlin, co-founder of the Indigenous Food Circle, Long Lake #58 First Nation
- Peter Tonazzo, registered professional planner, City of Sault Ste. Marie
- Adrian DeVuono, program coordinator, Local Immigration Partnership
- Franco Naccarato, executive director, Meat and Poultry Ontario
- George Alkhoury, owner/chef, Georgie’s Shawarma, Sault Ste. Marie
- Laura Wyper, PhD Algoma University
- Nairne Cameron, PhD Algoma University
Register on Eventbrite.ca by Friday, Oct. 4, 2019. Early bird tickets are available until Tuesday, Oct. 1. Tickets include lunch and refreshments sponsored by Penokean Hills Farms. Event sponsored by Whole Foods Market, Sustain Ontario, Algoma Workforce Investment Corporation and The Water Tower Inn.