Habitat for Humanity Sault Ste. Marie and area is accepting applications for affordable, accessible housing on Blake Avenue this year.
Applications must be submitted by Jan. 25 at 4 p.m. and will be reviewed as they are filed.
The three-bedroom home will have wide hallways and doorways, a roll-in shower and lower than average light switches and thermostat.
For more information, please see the press release included below.
Do you and your family dream of owning a safe, decent, affordable, and accessible home? Are traditional mortgage requirements or a down payment on a house preventing you from making this dream a reality?
Habitat for Humanity Sault Ste. Marie and area (HFHSSMA) is accepting applications from families interested in owning a fully accessible Habitat Home at 23 Blake Avenue, which is conveniently located near schools, shopping centres, grocery stores, and public transportation routes.
“One of the most common things we hear from successful applicants is that they applied on a whim, or that it took some serious convincing from a family member or loved one to apply. We encourage everyone who is interested in our Affordable Homeownership Program and who meets the criteria to apply. It could change your life,” stated Allyson Schmidt, vice-chair of Habitat’s board of directors and chair of the Family Services Committee.
To qualify, eligible homeowners must be:
- In need of better housing
- Potential homebuyers might be dealing with poorly maintained, unhealthy, or overcrowded housing; unaffordable rent; inaccessible housing for people living with disabilities; or have other shelter needs.
- Willing to partner with Habitat
- Habitat Homeowners volunteer a minimum of 500 hours with Habitat including volunteer hours spent building their own home or at a Habitat ReStore. This also includes classes in personal finances, home maintenance, and other homeowner topics.
- Able to make affordable mortgage payments
- Habitat homeowners buy their home at fair market value. Mortgage payments are made affordable because they do not exceed 30 percent of the gross household income including property taxes, and income is evaluated on a yearly basis. The minimum gross household income for the Blake Avenue build is $51,000.
The house will be built using similar plans to Habitat’s 2020 build on Oakwood Drive. The three-bedroom, 1,290 square foot home will be a slab on ground build featuring a spacious kitchen, wide hallways and doorways, a roll-in shower, and lower-than-average light switches and thermostat.
In partnership with SalDan Construction Group, Habitat will break ground on their Blake Avenue build this spring. The home should be complete by the end of 2022.
Community members interested in applying for this Habitat Home must submit their expression of interest by Jan. 25 at 4.00 p.m. Applications will be reviewed as they are submitted, so early submissions are strongly encouraged. Please visit www.habitatsault.ca to submit online.
As a non-profit, HFHSSMA relies on the generosity of volunteers, donors, and corporate sponsors to achieve its mission. If your business is interested in donating to, or sponsoring, the Blake Avenue build, please reach out to Chelsey Foucher, Fundraising & Marketing Coordinator, at email@example.com to discuss this opportunity.