Firefighters responded Saturday night to a residential fire that caused extensive damage to a Carufel Ave. home.
In a release issued today, Sault Ste. Marie Fire Services reports that crews responded to the blaze shortly after 8 p.m.
"Upon arrival fire crews were directed to the upper level of the dwelling where flames were visible upon entry," the release stated. "Fire crews were able to contain the fire."
The cause of the fire was determined to be a lit candle in the living room.
Smoke detectors alerted the residents to the fire and everyone was able to exit the residence without injury.
"Sault Fire Services would like to remind all citizens to ensure they have working smoke alarms on every level of the home and to test them once a month."