NORTHSHORE BOOK SALE AND SIGNING
With a collective population nearing 100,000, the North Shore is a surprising hotbed of published talent. To celebrate and showcase the best this region has to offer, a local book signing and sale is being held on Aug. 11, 2018.
Organized by Kirsten Wreggitt, first-time author of “Before I Let You Go: Stories for my Grown Son” and hometown girl, this event promises to showcase the best of North Shore’s burgeoning book scene.
“As I was gearing up for a trip back home (Kirsten now resides in Calgary), I heard from many friends and family asking me to do a book signing for my recently published memoir,” says Wreggitt. “I thought it would be even more fun to bring together a number of local authors for an event. I’m hoping the event will create connections among my fellow authors, increase our community’s exposure to local authors, and showcase books and stories that come from, or highlight a place I love - this part of Northern Ontario.”
Eleven regional authors will be attending the event and will be available for sales and a book signing. The lineup is a robust and diverse group of authors including award winners, first-time authors and authors from every genre (poetry to history, mystery to inspiration). Included are:
- Elizabeth Creith author of Shepherd in Residence and An Engraver's Zoo
- Paula Dunning author of Shifting Currents
- Richard Whitten Barnes author of The Corydon Snow, Brink, Luzon, Forgotten Roots, Enemies, Medallion,Bad Medicine, A Scent of Almond and Cult
- John Hurley author of The Roofers
- Ray Stortini author of Only in Canada: Memories of an Italian Canadian
- Sandra Rousseau author of Sault Ste. Marie and Beyond, A History of Its People 17th-21st Centuries, Including Upper Peninsula, Michigan, and Mackinac Island and American Attempt to Take Canada, War of 1812 - 1814, St. Joseph Island, Mackinac Island, Sault Ste. Marie, Updated 2nd Edition
- Jamie Zeppa author of Beyond the Sky and the Earth: A Journey into Bhutan and Every Time We Say Goodbye
- David G. Ferguson author of Bear Runners, Toxic Waters and White Gold
- Gloria Jean Hansen author of Rural Roots - Remembering Kipling, Kipling Revisited, Homecoming and Born to Be Wild
- FIDGAL (Maria Iuliano) author of Crisis of Spirit and Direct Every Angel to Heaven
- Kirsten Wreggitt author of Before I Let You Go: Stories for My Grown Son
“I'm really excited to be part of an event that celebrates Algoma area authors. For the last ten years or so I've been part of Stories in the North, bringing writers from away; people forget, I think, how many good writers, and good writers with published books, live and work in Algoma,” says Elizabeth Creith, author of two books featured at the signing. “I hope after this chance to meet and talk with some of those writers, we'll all have a little more recognition here in our own area. I'm so happy Kirsten took the initiative to organize this, and I hope there'll be more!”
The Northshore Book Sale and Signing happens on Aug. 11 from 1 - 5 p.m. at the Trefry Memorial Centre in Richards Landing on a drop-in basis. And to add more fun, Elizabeth Creith will be doing on the spot poetry and Gloria Jean Hansen will be doing handwriting analysis.
“I’m thrilled that we can highlight local authors so more people are aware of what’s right here, close to home. And to make the trip even more worth your while, we’ve partnered with the Wabi Sabi Fine Craft Sale that’s taking place this same weekend at the Old Town Hall,” says Wreggitt. “We encourage you to come for the drive, meet your authors and artisans and support our local talent.”
For complete author profiles and more information, visit the event Facebook page.