From the archives of the Sault Ste. Marie Public Library:
Emergency services like the fire department are crucial to any community. One of the biggest threats to a building is the risk of fire. Throughout the history of Sault Ste. Marie we have lost many buildings over the years including some landmark buildings such as the International Hotel.
In the late 1800s and early 1900s fires were more pervasive because most buildings were constructed of wood, a highly flammable material. With the introduction of electric wiring there was also an increase in the possibility of faulty wiring causing fires which was the case in the destruction of the first City Hall/Carnegie Public Library/Fire Hall structure in 1907.
As the years progressed improved construction methods have reduced such threats, however the risk of fire will always be there. The photo gallery shows some of the fires that have affected our community during the past century.
Each week, the Sault Ste. Marie Public Library and its Archives provides SooToday readers with a glimpse of the city’s past.