SAULT STE. MARIE POLICE SERVICE
The closure of non-essential businesses in Ontario to address the spread of COVID-19 may cause business owners to worry about the safety of their business and property.
We’ve put together a list of tips for business owners that may help prevent crime to their business and property.
We suggest business owners:
- Remove valuables from storefronts to help reduce smash-and-grab thefts;
- Remove all cash from the till and leave it open. Place cash tray in plain view on the counter to signal there’s no money in the till;
- Remove all signs from windows so police are able to easily see inside during patrols;
- Consider installing an alarm monitoring system. If you already have one, ensure the contact list is up-to-date;
- Clearly post signage on the door/window to indicate the premises are monitored by an alarm company and that no money is kept on the premises. Include contact information for police and the business owner in case a member of the public sees damage to the property or suspicious activity;
- If the premises are closed for an extended period of time, clean all glass surfaces and create a tracking log of when cleaning was completed. This may help investigators with suspect fingerprints in the event of a break-in;
- Consider installing a surveillance camera system that can be monitored online by the owner and/or management;
- Consider using a laminate on all windows and glass doors to prevent the glass from being broken from blunt force. Although damage to glass will occur in a break-in attempt, it will greatly discourage or prevent entry;
- Install latch guards on doors to protect against prying, including on secondary doors such as employee and loading entrances;
- Keep some lighting on inside for surveillance opportunities during the evening;
- Ensure all doors are properly secured and regularly check all exterior lighting is functioning; and
- Remove any material around the exterior of the property that may be used to gain entry into the premises such as bricks, metal poles and construction materials.
By following all or some of these tips you will better protect your business and your property.