By David Helwig
Tuesday, February 05, 2002
The suggestion was made by committee member Luca Robibaro (shown), who also proposed a new recreation centre for the West End.
The West End centre would be useful for activities such as ball hockey and volleyball, Robibaro said. At present, players in some leagues are forced to scurry from school to school for their games.
Robibaro's suggestions came during a brainstorming session at which committee members made numerous other suggestions including:
- installation of a walkway around Topsail Island
- more walking trails elsewhere in the City
- an outdoor skating rink near the Civic Centre
- an RV park
- more winter use of Bellevue Park
- a skateboard park
- a teaching garden
- revisiting the Bellevue Marina issue
- cleaning up the Gateway site
- snowmobile trails
- ski trails between Hiawatha and Searchmount, allowing distance cross-country ski races
Not all of the suggestions would necessarily be carried out by the City. In same cases, the municipality could work with community groups to achieve the same results.
The suggestions will be evaluated at future meetings of the committee, which will eventually select some of them to recommend as priorities to City Council, chair Mark Kontulainen told SooToday.com.
To receive free, real-time updates of SooToday.com's exclusive coverage of local news, just send an Email with "SUBSCRIBE" in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org.