On April 25, 2022, Sault Area Hospital (SAH) began the construction and retrofitting of its $20 million Residential Withdrawal Management facility at 145 Old Garden River Road.
This new centre will provide 20 residential withdrawal management beds and safe beds in a completely renovated facility. Care at this facility will complement other Addictions Services including, but not limited to, in-patient/hospital-based addictions care, in-home/mobile withdrawal management, rapid access addictions medicine and counselling, as well as residential support and case management.
Services will include comprehensive assessment, medical support (medication-assisted symptom and craving management), education (harm reduction, healthy coping, life skills, and relapse prevention), Continuum of Care treatment planning and referrals, individual/group counselling and support, and peer support and self-help groups.
As part of the development of the new facility, SAH is undergoing a branding exercise to define its name and brand, and is engaging the community to provide feedback.
The new name and brand will reflect:
- A feeling that the facility belongs to the community/region
- A mental health and addictions care environment that is evidence-based, inclusive and welcoming, safe, respectful and bias-free
- The current service offerings including withdrawal management and safe beds services, and our future vision of consolidated community-based mental health and addictions services across a comprehensive continuum of care
- Affiliation with the larger health system and a departure from care fragmentation and outdated terminology
Aligned with the purpose and goals of the facility, the names being considered include:
- NORTHWAY Community Mental Health & Addictions Centre - ‘North’ connects the name to our region, and also figuratively indicates an upward direction/progress. ‘Way’ speaks to the facility as the path to a recovery journey.
- HEALING SHORES Community Mental Health & Addictions Centre - The word ‘Healing’ speaks to the desired outcome of being healed. ‘Shores’ is a reference to our location on the St. Mary’s River and our connection to nature.
- HOLISTIC MENTAL WELLNESS CENTRE - The word ‘Holistic’ speaks to the program’s unique offering (biopsychosocial and spiritual). ‘Mental wellness’ is a less stigmatized way of saying mental health. ‘Centre’ is used as the facility will be a central location for all mental health services.
The community poll is now closed. Thank you to everyone who voted. The results will help guide SAH's decision on the new name and brand.