ONTARIO PROVINCIAL POLICE
ELLIOT LAKE - On June 17, 2017, members of the East Algoma Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) police investigated a non-custodial abduction in the Elliot Lake area.
Two people were taken into custody and charged accordingly.
They appeared before the Ontario Court of Justice bail court in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario on June 18, 2017.
In order to protect the identity of the children involved, no further information will be provided.
However, police would like to take this opportunity to remind parents and/or guardians the importance of safety with their children.
Here are some safety tips to go over with your children:
- Know your name, address and phone number(s).
- Learn how and when to call 911.
- If you are scared of someone, RUN to safety.
- It's OK to be RUDE to a grown-up if you feel you are unsafe.
- Learn the difference between an "OK" secret and a "NOT OK" secret and beware of an adult that asks you to keep a secret from parents or your guardian.
- Have a "Call List" and know how and when to use it.
- Don't let anyone on the phone or at the door know that you are home alone.
- If you ever get lost in a mall, ask the closest store clerk for help and then stay where you are until you are found.
- Avoid shortcuts when you are walking from one place to another.
- If you are ever "scooped," scream, kick, bite and FIGHT as hard as you can to get away! NEVER trust what the "scooper" tells you.
- Tell your parents or a trusted adult if someone is asking you to do something that makes you feel uncomfortable. Listen to your "Uh Oh" voice.
- Always ask your parents for permission before getting on the Internet.
- Never talk to people online without your parent's permission.
As for parents/guardians, work hard to establish trust and communication with your children. Ensuring you know how to find them at all times.