SABLES-SPANISH RIVERS TWP - Call of a U-Haul van driving dangerously on Highway 17 has resulted in charges for two Saultites.
OPP say on Saturday at approximately 11:50 p.m., officers responded to a complaint of a U-Haul swerving eastbound on Highway 17 in Sables-Spanish Rivers Township.
In a press release issued today, police say they attempted a traffic stop but were unsuccessful. OPP report they did not continue to pursue the vehicle "due to public safety."
Police report locating the van on Finn Rd. in Baldwin Township a short while later, while the two occupants were located on foot in Nairn-Hyman Township.
Police also report seizing suspected methamphetamine from the passenger upon arrest.
As a result of the investigation, Ryan St. Jean, 36, was arrested and charged with:
- Flight from peace officer, contrary to section 320.17 of the Criminal Code (CC);
- Dangerous operation, contrary to section 320.13(1) of the CC
- Driving while under suspension, contrary to section 53(1) of the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) (two counts); and
- Race a motor vehicle - stunt, contrary to section 172(1) of the HTA.
The accused was sent for a bail hearing but has since been released on an undertaking and a Provincial Offences Act (POA) Undertaking and is scheduled to appear before the Ontario Court of Justice on Jan. 11, 2021 in Espanola.
The passenger, Randi-Lyn Wise was also arrested and charged with:
- Flight from peace officer, contrary to section 320.17 of the CC;
- Possession of property obtained by crime under $5000, contrary to section 354(1)(a) of the CC; and
- Possession of a schedule I substance - methamphetamine, contrary to section 4(1) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (CDSA).
The accused was released on an undertaking and is scheduled to appear before the Ontario Court of Justice on Jan. 11, 2021 in Espanola.