ONTARIO PROVINCIAL POLICE
BLIND RIVER - On Nov. 18, 2017, shortly after 12:30 a.m., members from the East Algoma Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Detachment responded to a domestic disturbance where a female was calling from a neighbours on Hiawatha Street in the Town of Blind River.
The female advised that she was assaulted by her boyfriend and he was inside her residence smashing things while her children were still in the home.
Police attended the female's residence and breached the door only to find the male had fled the scene through a window. East Algoma officers were then assisted by four members of the OPP Emergency Response Team (ERT) and the OPP Canine Unit from Sault Ste. Marie.
Investigation determined that victim's boyfriend had attended her residence intoxicated and began an argument when it escalated to the female being physically assaulted several times. Earlier on the evening of Nov. 17, 2017, the male attended a residence on Queen Street and stole a purse.
Shortly after 5:30 a.m., on Nov. 18, 2017, police located the male on Woodward Avenue where he was arrested. Police located over 40 Percocet pills and a small amount of cannabis marijuana on the male.
As a result of the investigation, a 40-year-old male from Mississauga First Nation, Ont. was charged with:
- Aggravated assault (x2), contrary to section 268 of the Criminal Code (CC);
- Mischief under $5,000, contrary to section 430(4) of the CC;
- Possession property obtained by crime - under $5,000, contrary to section 354(1)(a) of the CC;
- Possession of schedule I substance - other drugs contrary to section 4(1) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (CDSA); and with
- Possession of schedule II substance - cannabis marijuana - under 30 gram.
The accused appeared before the Ontario Court of Justice in Sault Ste. Marie on Nov. 20, 2017 where he was remanded into custody.