CITY OF SAULT STE. MARIE
The City of Sault Ste. Marie is seeking to fill three vacancies on the board for the Sault Ste. Marie Economic Development Corporation (SSMEDC).
On Dec. 2, 2019, City Council passed a resolution approving a new model for economic and tourism development in the community. As part of this model, the SSMEDC board will act in a strategic advisory role to City Council for matters related to economic development within the community. The board members will provide guidance on:
- Providing expert insight into economic development strategies
- Assist in providing business development expertise to create opportunities
- Recommending strategic and annual business plans to City Council
- Assessing and recommending funding applications to an Economic Development Fund
- Reviewing and approving funding applications that would be submitted through the non-profit corporation to senior levels of government
The Economic Development staff within the Community Development and Enterprise Services department provide support to the SSMEDC board.
The ideal board composition will include a diverse group of business leaders and professionals with demonstrated experience in the targeted sectors in Sault Ste. Marie. The Board is comprised of nine members, representing large and small business in the community. Desired qualifications of Board members includes:
- Experience as an entrepreneur or as a senior manager in a business
- Demonstrated leadership in current position
- Understanding of board governance
- Ability to formulate and monitor the implementation of strategic plans
Skills and competencies in areas such as:
- Sector development
- Strategic planning
The time commitment required for board members is typically one meeting per month and occasional special purpose meetings. The term for the new appointments to the board will be for the remainder of City Council’s term.
The role of a board member is to be accountable for the following duties:
- Meeting Participation – The Board Member is expected to participate in all meetings of the Board (reasonable exceptions can be accommodated).
- Be Informed – The Board Member must be informed about the general economy to properly perform their duty. The expectation is the Board Member prepares for each Board meeting by reviewing all material provided with the meeting agenda.
- Conflict of Interest and Confidentiality – The Board Member shall not participate in any decision when the Board Member has a material financial interest in the transaction in question.
City Council will meet in open session, either at a regular meeting or a special meeting called for that purpose, to make the appointments to the Board. The agenda for such meetings shall contain only the names of the applicants. Further to the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, the application form and supporting material of applicants shall be circulated only to Council and will not be disclosed for use by any 3rd party and will only be disclosed, as required, through the open discussions of Council, when considering applicants.
Council may request further information concerning an applicant, either in writing or by personal attendance at the meeting. When considering appointments to any particular Boards or Committees, the members of Council may nominate other members of Council or Interested Persons, as the case may be, from the pool of Applicants for other Boards and Committees.
Should the number of nominees exceed the number of vacancies for any Board and Committee, balloting will take place in accordance with the provisions for simultaneous recorded vote in the procedure by-law. Every appointment made by Council to Boards and Committees shall be at the pleasure of Council, whether or not the appointment is for a specified time period. The City Clerk notifies all appointees in writing of their appointments following the meeting.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply by submitting an application form on or before Thursday, Sept. 10, 2020, at noon (Eastern Time). Application forms can be found on the City’s website at saultstemarie.ca/boardscommittees or can be obtained from the Clerk’s Office at the Civic Centre.