The 2021 Everest Canadian Seniors Curling Championships have finalized their COVID-19 precautions for their upcoming tournament.
Working closely with Algoma Public Health, organizers have made the safety of players, volunteers, staff and fans a top priority.
For a list of the precautions being taken, and more information about the tournament, please see the press release included below.
Canada’s premiere senior curling championship is only days away and final plans are nearing completion at the Community First Curling Centre in Sault Ste. Marie.
Event organizers have been working closely with Algoma Public Health to ensure all necessary COVID-19 protocols are in place for the safety of players, volunteers, staff and fans attending the 2021 Canadian Seniors Championship.
“From day one of our planning we have kept Covid precautions as a priority,” said Al Harnden, chair of the local organizing committee.
“We have met regularly with Algoma Public Health to review our COVID-19 plans and we have been designated as an elite sporting event regarding some of the new restrictions,” said Harnden.
COVID-19 precautions for the championships include:
- everyone entering the curling centre, including players, must show proof of full vaccination
- spectators and staff will be required to wear masks in the public areas
- spectators can only sit or stand with cohorts
- capacity limit within the curling centre will be cut to 50 percent or 120 persons
- seating within the curling centre will follow social distancing rules with tables six feet apart
- bleacher seating will also include social distancing
- full sanitizing of seating areas and other public spaces
As a result of the capacity limits, the number of tickets available for the six-day Canadian championship will be limited.
The event will be streamed on Curling Canada’s YouTube channel.
The six-day national competition will include 28 men’s and women’s teams from across the country comprised of more than 110 of Canada’s best senior curlers.
Some 100 local volunteers have been working on Canadian Seniors project for the past several months.
Everest Funeral Concierge is the title sponsor of the Canadian Seniors event and World Financial Group (WFG) is the presenting sponsor.