Skip to content
18.4 °Cforecast >
! Mist

Greyhounds end road trip on winning note

As a three-game road trip came to a conclusion on Sunday afternoon for the Soo Greyhounds, the team extended their winning streak in the process.

As a three-game road trip came to a conclusion on Sunday afternoon for the Soo Greyhounds, the team extended their winning streak in the process.

The Greyhounds won their sixth straight game on Sunday with a 4-2 win over the Owen Sound Attack in the final game of their three-game Ontario Hockey League road trip.

“We felt five-on-five we did a really good job generating a lot of scoring chances and we didn’t give up very much,” said Greyhounds coach Sheldon Keefe. “We’re pretty happy with the game all the way through, in particular the third period. We started the period with over a minute of penalty kill left over from the second period. Then they had two more full power plays in the third and a lengthy six-on-five with the goalie out. There were some tough stretches for us but we outshot them in the period. That’s tough to do on the road when you’re protecting a two-goal lead.”

Jorgen Karterud had a goal and an assist in the win for the Greyhounds.

“This was the best game he’s played in a long time,” Keefe said of the import forward. “He made an excellent play on the (David) Miller goal where he makes a great play using his size and his reach and fights off a check and makes a highly skilled play to set Miller up for pretty much an empty net. It was nice to get that offensive contribution there.

Bryan Moore continued his point streak to 10 games, which includes goals in four straight as the veteran forward also scored in Sunday’s win. Tyler Ganly and David Miller also scored against Owen Sound goaltender Brandon Hope. Ganly’s goal was his first in 109 career games with the Greyhounds.

“It was a dandy, right under the crossbar,” Keefe said of Ganly’s goal. “It was in and out so fact they needed a lengthy review to figure it out. It was a big-time shot that wound up being the game-winning goal.”

Greyhounds goaltender Matt Murray stopped 25 shots.

Kyle Hope and Daniel Milne completed the scoring for Owen Sound in the loss while Brandon Hope stopped 38 shots for the Attack.

The Greyhounds went 1-for-6 on the power play in the win while holding the Attack off the scoresheet on five man advantages.

“The guys have done a nice job of executing (on the penalty kill) here of late,” said Keefe. “Things have gone well. We’ve been pretty happy with our penalty kill all season. We had a couple of tough stretches but in terms of the number of goals we give up we’re right near the top of the league. It was really nice to see it come together and be perfect on this road trip. It’s been a big part of our success.”

With the win, the Greyhounds record improves to 32-10-1-4, good for 69 points. Their lead atop the OHL’s West Division remains at 13 points as the second-place Windsor Spitfires were also victorious on Sunday afternoon thanks to a 3-1 win on home-ice over the Sudbury Wolves.

The Greyhounds remain in second in the Western Conference standings and remain in a battle with the Erie Otters and Guelph Storm atop the conference. The team moved six points ahead of the London Knights in the conference standings as well thanks to a London loss on Sunday.

Erie and Guelph are in a battle for top spot in the Midwest Division, which at this point also gives them top spot in the conference. The Storm hold a one-point lead over the Otters, thanks to a Sunday night win over Kingston.

With the loss, the Attack record falls to 21-18-3-3.

The Greyhounds enjoy some time off before returning to action on Jan. 24 when they host the aforementioned Spitfires at the Essar Centre to open up a three-game homestand that will also see the locals host the Plymouth Whalers and Saginaw Spirit.