Skip to content

West End boy burned by grease

Also today, our brave firefighters saved two baby cats from a kitty-eating washing machine
Fire hoses. Stock photo

A child was taken to hospital this evening after he was burned by cooking oil spilled by his father.

Fire Services was called to a residence on Admiral Drive at 5:13 p.m.

"The father put out the fire," said Platoon Chief Damon Ferris.

"He put a lid over it and was carrying it outside because it was smoking."

"He spilled some on himself and the child. It was serious enough to go to hospital," Ferris told SooToday.

"Putting the lid on was a good idea, but when you're carrying it, it's basically a weapon."

Earlier in the day, our brave firefighters rescued two kittens in the 300 block of Albert Street West.

The kitties had become trapped between a portable washing machine and a homemade wooden dolly.

"They removed the back of the washer and got the cats out," Ferris said.


David Helwig

About the Author: David Helwig

David Helwig's journalism career spans six decades beginning in the 1960s. His work has been recognized with national and international awards.
Read more