The Canadian Snowcross Racing Association (CSRA) is bringing professional snowcross racers back to the Sault with an event on Jan. 22 and 23 at Runway Park.
Professional racers and amateurs will be competing on snowmobiles, snow bikes and UTVs, and lessons are available for all ages and experience levels.
CSRA will be holding a food drive in support of the St. Vincent Place food bank as well.
For more details and a schedule of events over the weekend, please see the press release included below.
Professional Snowcross racers return to Sault Ste. Marie, Jan. 22-23, 2022. Canada’s best snowmobile, snow bike and UTV racers roll into Sault Ste. Marie, Ont. to compete at the Can/Am International Snowcross event at Runway Park on Airport Road.
CSRA Snowcross officials have been working with Algoma Public Health and the latest Provincial guidelines to create a fun, and safe outdoor event for participants and spectators. The current Province of Ontario restrictions for outdoor racetrack facilities require racetracks to limit outdoor spectator capacity to 50% of the regular capacity and does not allow for the use of any indoor facilities or food or beverage sales. Racers and fans are required to social distance and wear face coverings.
CSRA racers and event organizers have created a food drive to support the St. Vincent Place food bank in Sault Ste. Marie. Racers and spectators are asked to bring a non-perishable food to the front admission gates drive-thru. In return, CSRA sponsors are providing gifts to those who support those in need.
Snowcross racing is a family sport. There are 22 racing classes of competition starting with a kid’s division for 4 to 10-year-old racing on miniature snowmobiles, classes for novice kids, juniors boys and girls, trail sport classes for first time racers, sport and pro classes.
Kids and amateur racing start at 9 a.m. on both Saturday and Sunday.
Pro snowmobile and snow bike racing will take place on Saturday only with the pro main events starting at 2 p.m. and going until 5 p.m.
UTV side x side off-road vehicles will race on Sunday only after all the snowmobile racing is complete.
Weekend schedule of events at Runway Park
Pro racers compete on Saturday only
Saturday, Jan. 22
- 8:20 - 9:20 a.m. - Practice regional classes only, including novice 200cc and full size sleds.
- 9:30 - 1:20 a.m. - Amateur racing begins: 120cc, 110cc kids snow bikes, novice, transition, junior, trail sport 600,
- 1:20 - 2 p.m. - Track groom.
Pro main events
2 – 5 p.m.
- Pro intros, Pro, Pro-Lite, Pro/Am Women, Sport 600, Pro/Am Vet -Moto #1
- Groom Track, Pro/AM Snow Bike Moto #1.
- Pro/Am Women, Sport 600, Pro/Am Vet, Pro-Lite, Pro Moto #2
- Track Groom, Pro/Am Snow Bike Moto #2 - Pro-Lite & Pro Finals followed by podium awards.
Sunday is Family Day – Kids and seniors are free on Sunday, Jan. 23
- 9 a.m. - 1:20 p.m. - Racing begins: 120cc, 110cc kids snow bikes, novice, transition, junior, trail sport 600
- 1:20 - 2 p.m. - Track groom
- 2 - 4 p.m. - Sport-R600 races and Regional Class racing continues with finals.
- 4 p.m. - UTV racing qualifying and finals
Spectator admission tickets are available at the drive-thru race site gates on race days.
Spectator gates open at 9 a.m. Saturday and Sunday.
General admission for youths (13+) and adults is $30 each day or $50 for the weekend. Kids 6-12 years of age are $15 on Saturday. Kids are free on Sunday.