Marco Roy has been chosen as 2020 winner of Sault Ste. Marie's Community Recognition Award.
Roy's selection was finalized Friday by the City's cultural advisory board.
He's being recognized for his promotion of music and Franco-Ontarian culture.
Roy started a music program for students at École Notre-Dame-du-Sault on North Street.
He takes his students and performs himself at Saint-Jean-Baptiste Day and other community events.
The Community Recognition Award is offered annually by the City of Sault Ste. Marie on recommendation from the cultural advisory board.
It recognizes contribution and commitment in the field of culture, honouring activities considered to be particularly outstanding or innovative, or demonstrating long-term commitment.
Any individual, group or community organization is allowed to make one nomination a year.
The following are past winners:
- 2019 - Algoma Art Society
- 2018 - Sandra Houston
- 2017 - Brian Wilson
- 2016 - Kathryn McAuley Yukich, Wendy A. Hamilton
- 2015 - not awarded
- 2014 - Susan Barber, Karen Montgomery-Jones
- 2013 - Michael Hennessy - performing arts, Russell Mason - visual arts, Greg Ryckman - performing arts
- 2012 - Joan M. Foster - performing and literary arts, Honourable Ray Stortini - heritage arts
- 2011 - Mary Rossiter - heritage and performing arts
- 2010 - Dr. Robert Ewing - heritage arts, Ardys & John Fleming - performing arts
- 2009 - Webb Surround - performing arts
- 2008 - Gail Nelson - performing arts, Judy McGonigal - heritage arts
- 2007 - not awarded
- 2006 - Linda Burtch - heritage arts, Nora Ann Harrison - visual arts
- 2005 - Roy Sutton - performing arts
- 2004 - Richard Howard - performing arts, Chris Tossell - heritage arts
- 2003 - Michael Burtch - visual arts
- 2002 - Jim Franz - heritage arts, Harry Houston - performing arts
- 2001 - Carol Gartshore - performing arts
- 2000 - Edward and Katherine Gartshore - performing arts
- 1999 - Janet Short - performing arts, Trixie Hardy - performing arts