Editor's note: The government website will not be updated on Monday, Aug. 2 due to the Civic Holiday. Data and daily epi summaries for Aug. 2 and Aug. 3 will be available on Aug. 3 at 10:30 a.m.
Public Health Ontario has reported 218 new COVID-19 cases in its latest report (Aug. 1).
Today's update also includes 155 new recoveries and 2 deaths.
The Aug. 1 update provided by the province's public health agency also reported the following data:
- 1,667 active cases, up from 1,606 yesterday.
- 78 people are currently hospitalized with COVID-19 in Ontario, down from 105 yesterday. *Note from the Ontario Government site: As we often observe on weekends, more than 10% of hospitals did not submit data to the Daily Bed Census. We anticipate the number of hospitalized patients may increase when reporting compliance increases.*
- There are 110 patients in intensive care units because of COVID-19 (31 of those people no longer test positive for COVID-19) and 78 patients on ventilators (18 of those patients no longer test positive for COVID-19).
- The province reported 14,122 tests were processed yesterday.
- Another 4,368 tests are still under investigation and/or being processed. To date, 16.58 million tests have been completed.
Variants of concern (Ontario-wide)
- 145,531 lab-confirmed cases of the UK variant strain of COVID-19 (B.1.1.7/Alpha variant).
- 1,493 cases of B.1.351 (also known as the South African variant/Beta variant).
- 5,163 cases of P.1, which is the variant strain that originated in Brazil (Gamma variant).
- 4,802 cases of B.1.617.2 (also known as the Delta variant).
- Another 38,534cases have screened positive with a mutation detected, but the lineage for the variant strain not yet detected.
- According to Public Health Ontario, there are delays between specimen collection and the testing required to confirm a variant of concern. As such, the reports can change and can differ from past case counts publicly reported.
- There were 60,583 doses of vaccines against COVID-19 administered yesterday, down from 81,590 on July 30.
- 19,519,781 doses of vaccine have been administered.
- In total, 9,035,335 people have been fully vaccinated.
Public Health Ontario has confirmed 550,654 cases of COVID-19 since the start of the pandemic, and reported 539,640 recoveries and 9,347 deaths, 3,980 of those in long-term care homes.