SooToday.com received the following news releases from The United Way of Sault Ste. Marie and District about the deadline to apply for its trades bursary program and nominations for Youth Spirit Award.
The United Way of Sault Ste. Marie and district Youth Spirit Award nomination criteria and format
All volunteers and nominees in the running for the Youth Spirit Award contribute significantly to the many organizations and programs in our community that rely on our support in order to continue being successful helping those in need.
Your involvement is essential to developing valuable personal skills, as well as helping you become a more active part of the community you live in.
The Youth Spirit Award will be presented at the 2014 Ontario Volunteer Youth Challenge Awards at the end of May 2014.
- The individual or group of nominees must be between the ages of 14 and 18 years of age, currently attending secondary school in the Algoma District, demonstrating outstanding community involvement with more than one organization
- The nominator can be a principal, teacher, staff, a member of a student body, or the leader of a community group
- The activity or the event should be entirely student initiated and non-curriculum related, while adult mentorship and supervision is permitted
1. Name of nominee:
2. Name of nominator:
3. List of organizations, events or activities helped (include volunteer hours):
4. Narrative statement of why this individual or group should receive this award:
To nominate for the Youth Spirit Award, please submit a one-page document as per guidelines above, and fax or mail it to:
United Way of Sault Ste. Marie and district
Attention: The Youth Spirit Award Selection Committee
7A Oxford Street, Sault Ste. Marie, ON P6B 1R7
Fax: 705-759-5899 Email: email@example.com
If you have any questions please contact Maureen Dodd, Resource Development Manager, 705-256-7476 X216 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Youth Spirit Award is presented to an individual youth or a youth group that demonstrates excellent support to the community through participation, leadership, and service to the others within the community.
Deadline for submission to the Youth Spirit Award must be received by end of business Monday May 12, 2014
Trades Bursary Program
Application Deadline: Wednesday April 30, 2014
The United Way of Sault Ste. Marie and district Trades bursaries are available to students who meet the following criteria:
Student has graduated or will be graduating from a secondary school in Sault Ste. Marie Ontario or the district of Algoma from White River to Elliot Lake as well as mature students and returning Sault College 2nd & 3rd year trades students who have graduated from secondary school in Sault Ste. Marie Ontario or the district of Algoma from White River to Elliot Lake
Student has been accepted into an approved* Sault College Trades program
Student has demonstrated significant volunteer involvement in his / her community
Student demonstrates financial need
Five bursaries of $1,500 each will be awarded for each academic year. Bursaries will be paid directly to Sault College on behalf of the successful candidate in two instalments of $750 per semester.
* approved Sault College programs are listed in section 2 of the application.