Skip to content

Fire department investigates carbon monoxide leak at St. Paul school

A 'very low' level of carbon monoxide was detected at the school according to fire services. Any students experiencing flu-like symptoms this evening or tomorrow should seek medical attention
0
fire_sault_truck_notext
File photo

NEWS RELEASE
HURON-SUPERIOR CATHOLIC DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD
*****************
At approximately 2:30 this afternoon school administration at St. Paul Catholic Elementary School in Sault Ste. Marie became aware of a minor carbon monoxide leak in the gymnasium area of the school.

By 2:45 p.m., Sault Ste. Marie Fire Services had been deployed to investigate the leak. The peak level that was discovered at that time was 19 parts per million, which is considered very low.

As a precaution, we want to inform all families of this leak. If your child attended school today at St. Paul and experiences flu-like symptoms, such as nausea, headache, and/or vomiting, either this evening or tomorrow, we recommend that you seek immediate medical attention.

The cause of the carbon monoxide leak was determined to be one of the rooftop heaters that serves the gymnasium. This heater was disabled and locked out by approximately 3:30 p.m. today.

Sault Ste. Marie Fire Services has reported that all levels of carbon monoxide throughout the building have now been restored to zero.

Until the heating issue has been resolved, there will only be partial heat in the gymnasium. Heat will be fully available in all areas, other than the gym, and school will be in session tomorrow for all students and staff.

The board would like to thank Sault Ste. Marie Fire Services for their rapid response.

****************




Comments