Update: Since the publishing of this article, Algoma Public Health has reported six new cases of COVID-19.
Algoma Public Health hasn't reported any new cases today.
However, four were reported last night, all from the Sault and area.
Here are the latest COVID-19 numbers from Algoma Public Health, updated at 1:53 p.m. today:
- 122,188 tested
- 273 confirmed
- 35(1)* active cases
- 1 (1)* currently hospitalized
- 238 resolved
- 4 deceased
* The numbers in brackets are active cases and hospitalized cases in non-Algoma residents who are temporarily in Algoma. These cases are not counted as part of Algoma’s confirmed case count. APH conducts contact tracing and monitoring of self-isolation for all cases within Algoma.
According to data on howsmyflattening.ca, a University of Toronto-led website which collects and analyzes data from Ontario's COVID-19 cases, 67 per cent of ICU beds in Algoma Public Health's jurisdiction are currently occupied.
The data also describes the community risk level for COVID-19 in our region as 'low.'
Total confirmed cases by area of residence:
- 205 in Sault Ste. Marie and area
- 48 in central and east Algoma
- 17 in Elliot Lake and area
- 3 in north Algoma
Algoma Public Health remains in Phase 1 of Ontario's 3 Phase Vaccine Distribution Program. As of yesterday at 11:25 a.m.:
- 29,595 total doses of COVID-19 vaccines have been administered (27,232 Algoma residents, which is 28.1 per cent of eligible residents 16+ or 23.8 per cent of all residents)
- 24,869 people have received their first dose (This number represents 25.7 per cent of eligible residents 16+, and 21.7 per cent of all residents)
- 2,363 Algoma residents have been fully immunized with first and second doses (This number represents 2.4 per cent of eligible residents 16+, and 2.1 per cent of all residents)
Comparatively, in Chippewa County, which covers Sault Ste. Marie Mich. and surrounding area, the COVID-19 data as of Friday states:
- 2,167 cumulative positives
- 1,761 cumulative recovered
- 31 deaths
- 3 cases currently hospitalized