The City of Sault Ste. Marie is looking for public input and engagement as it prepares the 2022 municipal budget. The text of the full release follows:
Every time your street is plowed, your garbage or recyclables picked up, you visit the park, take a bus or borrow a book from the library, you are witnessing your tax dollars at work. Municipal budget decisions set the funding for the programs and services we depend on to maintain our quality of life.
Ahead of the 2022 municipal budget, residents and business owners are invited to participate in the budge engagement process to provide feedback on priorities and key considerations. From October 1 to October 15, residents will be informed on how the budget process works, how tax dollars are used and the value tax dollars bring to the City of Sault Ste. Marie. The input received will assist City Council with their discussions and deliberations. Suggestions and comments can be submitted in a number of ways including virtually by visiting www.saultstemarie.ca/budget202
“The information we receive is important in helping staff further their understanding of the priorities of residents,” said Mayor Christian Provenzano. “I encourage everyone to participate in the budgetary process. We have a number of ways to engage in it, and City Council and staff look forward to discussing our efforts with the community over the coming weeks.”
In the interest of public health and safety, the City is asking residents and property owners to share their priorities and input virtually as much as possible. Feedback and ideas can be submitted in number of ways including:
- An online Budget feedback survey is available. Paper copies of the survey can be completed at the Seniors Centre, Northern Community Centre, Accessibility office at the John Rhodes Community Centre, the North Branch Library and the James L. McIntyre Centennial Library. Copies can also be obtained from the lobby of the Civic Centre.
- Participate in a Virtual Town Hall facilitated with local media partners between October 1 and October 15.
- Watch for posts on the City’s social media sites and provide feedback on Facebook and Twitter using the handles @CitySSM #saultbudget
- Email comments and questions to email@example.com
- Call the Finance Department office at 705-759-5350
- Mail suggestions to: City of Sault Ste. Marie – Finance Department
99 Foster Drive, Sault Ste. Marie, ON P6A 5X6
“The budget process brings the City’s strategic plan to life providing the necessary funds to move action plans forward while maintaining the City’s service levels,” says Malcolm White, CAO. “The City’s many services keep our homes and neighbourhoods safe and vibrant, encourage business growth and investments and make Sault Ste. Marie a welcoming community. All ideas gathered throughout the consultation process will be considered as part of the 2022 budget development.”
The budget is about setting our collective goals and building a great city – together. Have your say in the 2022 municipal budget by visiting saultstemarie.ca/budget2022.