City budget input looks a bit different this year, in the midst of a global pandemic.
Instead of the usual in-person open house, this year the City of Sault Ste. Marie is inviting residents and business owners to provide feedback in a number of other ways, such as online or by mail or phone call.
“City Council and staff look forward to discussing our efforts with the community during the budgetary process,” says Mayor Christian Provenzano in a news release issued today.
Full text of the news release follows:
Every time your street is plowed, your garbage or recyclables picked up, you visit the park, take a bus or borrow a book from the library, you are witnessing your tax dollars at work. Municipal budget decisions set the funding for the programs and services we depend on to maintain our quality of life.
Ahead of the 2021 municipal budget, the City of Sault Ste. Marie is requesting feedback from residents and business owners regarding municipal operations. Suggestions and comments can be submitted virtually by visiting here.
“Unfortunately, as a result of COVID-19 we won’t be able to host an in-person open house this year; however, staff is working hard to implement new methods of engagement and communication,” said Mayor Christian Provenzano. “As noted in the recent report from S&P Global Ratings, low-debt and prudent fiscal management has well-positioned the City to offset the revenue impact of COVID-19 and move forward with important projects such as the Downtown Plaza. City Council and staff look forward to discussing our efforts with the community during the budgetary process.”
Considering the current COVID environment, the City is asking residents and property owners to share their priorities and input virtually. Feedback and ideas can be submitted in number of ways:
- Beginning Sept.28, 2020, the City’s online budget tool will be available online. This tool enables taxpayers to indicate the areas where they would like to see tax dollars utilized. The deadline to submit input using the budget tool is Oct. 9, 2020.
- An online Budget feedback survey is available to provide input into effective ways to build our community. Paper copies of the survey can be obtained from the lobby of the Civic Centre.
- Provide budget feedback on Facebook and Twitter using the handles @CitySSM #saultbudget
- Email comments and questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call the Finance Department office at 705-759-5350 or fax ideas to 705-759-8447
- Mail suggestions to: City of Sault Ste. Marie – Finance Department 99 Foster Drive, Sault Ste. Marie, ON P6A 5X6
“There are a number of ways our community can safely come together to share priorities for the 2021 municipal year,” says Malcolm White, CAO. “The City’s many services keep our homes and neighbourhoods safe and vibrant, encourage business growth and investments and make Sault Ste. Marie a welcoming community. All ideas gathered throughout the consultation process will be considered as part of the 2021 budget development.”
The budget is about setting our collective goals and building a great city – together. Have your say in the 2021 municipal budget by visiting saultstemarie.ca/budget2021.