Skip to content

City considers making carbon monoxide detectors mandatory

The following resolution, introduced by Ward 4 Councillor Lorena Tridico and her Ward 5 counterpart Frank Fata, was approved tonight by Sault Ste.
0
CarbonMonoxideDetector

The following resolution, introduced by Ward 4 Councillor Lorena Tridico and her Ward 5 counterpart Frank Fata, was approved tonight by Sault Ste. Marie City Council:

************************* Whereas there are recent news reports of deaths tragically due to carbon monoxide poisoning taking place in homes; and

Whereas a carbon monoxide detector in the home detects the presence of carbon monoxide which is caused by faulty burning devices such as space heaters, open flames, blocked chimneys and running a vehicle inside an attached garage; and

Whereas the installation of carbon monoxide detectors in every home in Sault Ste. Marie would be the best method of prevention of carbon monoxide poisoning;

Now therefore be it resolved that appropriate City staff including the fire chief and City solicitor be requested to review and report back to City Council on the feasibility of it being mandatory that all homes in Sault Ste. Marie be required to install carbon monoxide detectors. *************************






David Helwig

About the Author: David Helwig

David Helwig's journalism career spans six decades beginning in the 1960s. His work has been recognized with national and international awards.
Read more