Skip to content

532 people in Ontario ICUs because of COVID, 64 deaths reported Tuesday

Limited testing has captured 3,424 new cases on Jan. 25
covid19_2000x1333_3

Today the province is reporting about 532 people in Ontario intensive care units because of COVID-19. 

Another 64 people have died after contracting COVID-19, according to the latest update. 

There are 4,008 COVID-positive people currently hospitalized and about 2,204 of them were hospitalized because of COVID. The rest were hospitalized for other reasons but test positive for COVID-19. 

On Jan. 25, Public Health Ontario is reporting 3,424 new COVID cases, however, new case counts no longer reflect COVID-19 transmission in the province as testing is reserved nearly exclusively for hospitalized patients, and residents and staff at high-risk congregate settings. 

Public Health Ontario has confirmed 1,004,879 cases of COVID-19 since the start of the pandemic, and reported 932,245 recoveries and 11,068 deaths.

The Jan. 25 updates provided by the province's public health agency and the ministry of health also reported the following data:

Cases

  • 7,298 recoveries and 64 deaths since yesterday's report. The deaths reported have all occurred within the last month.
  • There are 65,504 active, lab-confirmed cases in Ontario
  • The vaccination status for new cases was not updated at publication time.
  • Lab-confirmed testing is mostly limited to those who live in high-risk congregate care settings or work in them. As such a majority of the people being tested are fully vaccinated as per provincial or workplace mandatory vaccine policies.

Hospitalizations

  • 4,008 people are in hospital testing positive for COVID-19. Of those, 55 per cent (about 2,204 people) were hospitalized because of COVID-19 and the other 45 per cent were admitted for other reasons but tested positive for COVID. 
  • There are 626 patients in Ontario ICUs with COVID. Of those, 85 per cent (about 532 patients) were admitted because of COVID-19 and the other 15 per cent were admitted for other reasons but tested positive for COVID.
  • There are 372 COVID patients on ventilators.
  • Vaccination status for hospitalized patients was not updated at publication time because of a technical error. 

Testing

  • The number of tests and per cent positivity rate was not updated at publication time because of a technical glitch on the part of the province. 

The cumulative average incidence rate in the province is 6,820.1 cases per 100,000 people in Ontario.

Ontario's average seven-day incidence rate from Jan. 15 to Jan. 21 was 322.2 cases per 100,000 people, which decreased 30.9 per cent over the seven-day period starting on Jan. 9.

For more on the province's breakdown of vaccination status, click here.

Northern Ontario

Today's hospitalization data for the north has not been updated by the province yet.

In Northern Ontario, the breakdown of Public Health Ontario data for cases and vaccination is:

  • Algoma Public Health: The health unit has reported 3,387 cases, 589 known active cases and 18 current hospitalizations, including one person who is from out of region but in Algoma. Of the eligible population five years and older, 88 per cent of people have at least one dose of the vaccine and 82 per cent have both doses. Of the population 18 years and older, 55 per cent have a booster.
  • North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit: The health unit has reported 2,608 cases, 210 known active cases and two hospitalizations. Of the eligible population five years and older, 85 per cent of people have at least one dose of the vaccine and 80 per cent have both doses. For the eligible population 18 years and older, 54 per cent have a booster.
  • Porcupine Health Unit: The health unit has reported 4,049 cases and 740 known active cases. The health unit does not report hospitalizations. At Timmins and District Hospital there are 24 patients with COVID-19, seven of whom were admitted for virus-related reasons. Of the eligible population five years and older, 87 per cent of people have at least one dose of the vaccine and 80 per cent have both doses. For the eligible population 18 years and older, 49 per cent have a booster.
  • Public Health Sudbury and Districts: The health unit has reported 8,755 cases and 769 known active cases. There are 70 COVID-positive patients at Health Sciences North, including four in ICU. Of the eligible population five years and older, 88 per cent of people have at least one dose of the vaccine and 82 per cent have both doses. For the eligible population 18 years and older, 52 per cent have a booster.
  • Timiskaming Health Unit: The health unit has reported 969 cases, 72 known active cases, and 10 hospitalizations, with four people in ICU. The numbers were last update Jan. 21. Of the eligible population five years and older, 85 per cent of people have at least one dose of the vaccine and 79 per cent have both doses. For the eligible population 18 years and older, 55 per cent have a booster.
  • Northwestern Health Unit: The health unit has reported 3,069 cases, 274 known active cases and six hospitalizations, including two people in ICU. Of the eligible population five years and older, 95 per cent of people have at least one dose of the vaccine and 86 per cent have both doses. For the eligible population 18 years and older, 55 per cent have a booster.
  • Thunder Bay District Health Unit: The health unit has reported 6,315 cases, 355 known active cases and 47 hospitalizations, including eight people in ICU. Of the eligible population five years and older, 88 per cent of people have at least one dose of the vaccine and 82 per cent have both doses. For the eligible population 18 years and older, 51 per cent have a booster.

The data from Northern Ontario health units is based on what was available at 10:30 a.m. today.