The City of Sault Ste. Marie is set to re-open Arena 2 at the John Rhodes Community Centre on Monday, July 13 as part of stage 2 of the province's reopening plan, with plans to re-open Area 1 in the near future.
“With the planned opening of both ice pads and our re-opening plan in place, select user groups can begin to utilize the ice facilities at the John Rhodes,” says Brent Lamming, Directory of Community Services. “Various measures will be in place to align with recommended social distancing guidelines and access points will be controlled. Rink ambassadors will also provide an added level of safety to educate the public and ensure compliance of the guidelines.”
The John Rhodes Community Centre will re-open under the following Stage 2 conditions:
- Ice rentals are limited to businesses or sanctioned organizations involved with amateur or professional hockey or figure skating. No scrimmages or exhibition games are permitted.
- No more than 10 people will be allowed on the ice at any time, as per provincial COVID-19 restrictions.
- Before confirming a booking, the city will need an attendance roster and permission from a governing body that follows the Return to Hockey or the Skate Canada guidelines.
- In Stage 2, locker rooms, change rooms, showers and clubhouses in the facility remain closed, except to the extent they provide access to equipment storage, a washroom or a portion of the facility that is used to provide first aid.
- Participants must come fully dressed in their equipment and utilize the hallway and first row of bleachers to take skates on and off.
- Users are to arrive 15 minutes before their designated session. Congregation in common areas will not be permitted.
- Spectators will not be permitted. One parent, guardian or other adult may accompany each athlete under the age of 18.
- Access between the pool and arena will be restricted at this time.
Businesses or sanctioned organizations providing training services that require booking ice time are asked to call (705) 759-5383.