As part of financial support from the provincial government, PUC is offering a one-time, on-bill credit for eligible residential electricity and natural gas customers who are behind on their bill due to COVID-19.
Anyone who meets the criteria in the press release below can apply for this credit starting today. Submitting an application does not guarantee funding.
The following is a release from PUC:
The Government of Ontario is providing support for residential customers struggling to pay their energy bills as a result of COVID-19. The COVID-19 Energy Assistance Program (CEAP) is being delivered directly by electricity and natural gas utilities, including PUC Services Inc., further to rules laid out by the Ontario Energy Board (OEB).
CEAP is a one time, on-bill credit for eligible residential electricity and natural gas customers to help them catch up on their energy bills and resume regular payments. Eligible customers can start applying on July 13, 2020.
Residential electricity consumers are eligible for CEAP if they meet all of the following criteria:
- Customer must have an account with the electricity distributor and only the account holder can submit an application.
- Customer had no overdue amount on their electricity bill on March 17, 2020, the date the Provincial Emergency was declared.
- As of date of applying, customer has overdue amounts owing for electricity charges from at least 2 bills since March 17, 2020.
- Customer has not received Ontario Electricity Support Program (OESP) or Low-Income Assistance Program (LEAP) grants in 2020.
- Customer or customers spouse or common law partner (who must share the same address with the customer)
◦ Is unemployed at the time of the CEAP application and;
- Qualified for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) or
- Received Employment Insurance (EI) after March 17, 2020
To apply, please visit www.ssmpuc.com/CEAP to download the application form. Applications may be mailed in or submitted via e-mail. CEAP funding is limited; PUC Services will process applications in the order in which they are received. Submitting an application for CEAP to PUC Services Inc. does not guarantee funding.
For more information, or to determine if you are eligible for CEAP, please visit the PUC website or call our Customer Experience Team at 705-759-6522.