Telephone Assurance Volunteer
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
The Canadian Red Cross Society, a non-profit, humanitarian organization dedicated to helping Canadians, as well as the most vulnerable throughout the world, is seeking a Telephone Assurance Volunteer to work with the Community Health and Wellness Team. Reporting to the Community Support Services Coordinators, this position brings volunteers into direct regular contact with older adults who feel isolated from their community in order to provide them with companionship and a connection with their community.
• Provides regular outbound phone calls to assigned older adult clients, offering companionship, conversation & engagement in meaningful interactions
• To provide a sense of security for the individual that there will be consistent contact from the outside world minimum once a week
• Provides client centered support including referrals to other services
• Maintains timely and accurate records
• Reports any health or safety concerns to the Supervisor
• Provides monthly activity reports to Supervisor
• Contributes to a healthy and safe working environment.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Ability to listen and empathize with client concerning personal and/or health-related issues
• An ability to accept elderly persons as they are
• An ability to respect their confidences
• Knowledge and understanding of concerns that might arise with older adults
• General knowledge of local community resources and events
• Ability to work independently with minimal or distance supervision & as part of an effective team
• Clear understanding of privacy and confidentiality
• This position requires a satisfactory Canadian Criminal Record Reference check and a satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Check.
• The majority of the work is performed in your own residence
• The hours for this position are flexible and dependent on client need and volunteer availability.
• A minimum one-year commitment preferred.
Interested parties may contact:
Canadian Red Cross, Sault Ste. Marie
5-475 Trunk Rd.
Sault Ste. Marie, ON P6A 3T1