BUYER (STEEL INDUSTRY)
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario Canada
For over a century Algoma has a proud history and strong traditions of being an industry leading manufacturer of hot and cold rolled sheet steels in carbon and high strength low-alloy grades and we are Canada’s only plate producer. We are integral to the making of many of our modern day buildings, products and appliances. Our steel is used in construction, mining, manufacturing, automotive, shipbuilding, energy resources including renewable energy and military applications throughout North America. Today’s steel industry is rapidly evolving and so are we, bringing new products to market that our customers need for their success. We are inviting everyone who has a talent and drive for superior performance, a desire to be part of a team of steel industry professionals focused on transforming our company to continue our century long tradition of delivering high quality steel products to our customers, improving the quality of life for our community, demonstrating industry-leading environmental stewardship and providing rich and rewarding careers for our employees.
- Purchases goods and services for Algoma Steel Inc. with attention to sourcing, negotiating terms and prices, procuring and expediting.
- Leverage technical experience and education to ensure the Purchasing department supports the needs of Operations departments by providing timely, cost effective sourcing and delivery of commodities and consumable goods.
- Expedite deliveries, to ensure optimum inventory levels and meet operations requirement, to implement and enforce purchasing systems & processes and to develop and sustain vendor relationships through effective vendor Management.
- Negotiate and manage contracts for major commodities and services; ensure compliance and service and product delivery reliability.
- Ensure Purchasing and Stores inventory management systems provide the necessary information to accurately monitor and control the cost, delivery and inventory of purchased goods.
- Ensure compliance with Algoma’s code of business conduct & policies.
Core Competencies and Skills Required
- Must have a minimum three (3) year degree or diploma in a Business or a Technology discipline OR must have a minimum three (3) year degree or diploma in another field with a minimum two (2) years of purchasing experience.
- CPSM/SCMP/CPP or equivalent, MBA or Professional Engineering designation, are considered assets.
- The applicant should have good analytical, negotiating, problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Qualified candidates should have excellent communication, presentation, report writing and interpersonal people skills and be able to perform in team oriented environment.
- Capability to work in a dynamic, cross-functional team atmosphere.
- Very strong computer skills including MS Office (Word, Excel and Power point) and SAP.
- Should be capable of working with minimal direction and be able to effectively organize, plan, direct and prioritize.
If you meet the qualifications for this position and are committed to a challenging career with a dynamic company, in a community that offers superior quality of life, we encourage you to apply today.
To apply or to learn more about our company, please visit www.algoma.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in our workplace. Accommodation is available for applicants with a disability. We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those candidates that are selected for an interview will be contacted.