Village Media is looking for a full-time Assistant Editor to join our digital news desk in Sault Ste. Marie.
We have a full-time opening for a reliable self-starter who can work independently, but also as part of a dynamic news desk that covers a network of more than 10 local news sites across Ontario.
The right candidate will enjoy putting together a compelling news package: crafting headlines, selecting eye-catching images, incorporating video and social media posts in a way that adds to the story. The position also calls for someone adept at scanning news feeds and social media for stories that will interest the readers in the communities we serve.
Our employees are:
- Driven to find stories that matter to their community
- Enjoy unspinning news releases and writing headlines that get right to the heart of a story
- Committed to fairness, accuracy and journalism ethics
- Have exceptional writing and editing skills and look to social media as a crucial way of engaging with our audience
- Write headlines, edit stories and prepare stories for publication in a busy online newsroom
- Rewrite news releases
- Monitor news feeds and social media for stories
- Assist in other areas of our operation as required
- Degree in journalism, broadcasting or related field
- Superior language, writing and editing skills
- Strong knowledge of journalism ethics and law
- Photography and associated editing software experience
- Able to work a variety of schedules, including evenings, nights and weekends
- Excellent critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Strong time management and communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and under pressure
- Must be able to take direction and and work independently
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
We invite interested applicants to apply HERE.