Algoma Power Inc. is an electric distribution company that serves approximately 12,000 customers in the District of Algoma with over more than 1,800 kilometers of distribution lines in an area that covers approximately 14,200 square kilometers. Algoma Power Inc. is a subsidiary of FortisOntario Inc. (“FortisOntario”) which is headquartered in Fort Erie and has operations in electricity transmission and distribution primarily located in Fort Erie, Port Colborne, Cornwall, Gananoque and the District of Algoma. FortisOntario is the only investor-owned electric distribution utility in Ontario and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Fortis Inc. (“Fortis”). Fortis is the largest investor-owned distribution utility in Canada. Algoma Power Inc. currently has an exciting and challenging opportunity working out of our Sault Ste. Marie location for a:
Reporting to the Regional Manager, the main responsibilities include:
• Provide effective and productive leadership and supervision to Utility Arborist trades
• Coordination, management and oversight of Forestry Contractors operating in multiple work locations within Algoma Power’s service territory
• Schedule and coordinate the timely and on budget execution of planned capital and maintenance vegetation management work programs
• Ensure high standards of health, safety and environmental compliance are maintained
• Facilitate departmental safety meetings and perform regular work observations and inspections
• Provide required training and coaching to foster employee development and maintain a skilled workforce
• Assist in the preparation of the capital and maintenance expenditure budgets and effectively monitor and control operating costs
• Develop and maintain positive working relationships with all internal departments, employees, customers, contractors, various legislative bodies, municipal agencies and governments and other organizations
• Support Operations by providing On Call duties on a scheduled rotation basis
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and qualifications:
• Post secondary education with major course wok in Forestry or related program
• Minimum of ten (10) years’ experience in the Utility Arborist trade and Vegetation Management work activities as well as a minimum of five (5) years Supervisory experience with increasing levels of responsibility
• Working knowledge of integrated Vegetation Management principles applied in a utility system
• Strong understanding of the Occupational Health & Safety Act and Regulations, and formal certification in the Electrical Utility Safety Rules and Utility Work Protection Code.
• Knowledge of environmental standards such as, but not limited to, the Pesticides Act, Species at Risk, Forest Fire Prevention Act
• Thorough knowledge and understanding of equipment, standards, and practices applicable to the work
• Advanced computer skills with working knowledge of Excel and all MS Office Suite applications; previous experience with SAP system is an asset
• Exceptional communication, interpersonal and collaborative skills
• High level of discretion and good judgement with demonstrated problem solving skills and ability to take initiative
• Must possess and maintain in good standing a valid Ontario “G” driver’s license with a clean driving abstract as travel to other FortisOntario business units may be required
• Previous experience working in a utility and/or unionized environment would be considered an asset
Algoma Power Inc. is offering this full-time opportunity with an attractive compensation and benefits package and pension plan.
Qualified and interested candidates are invited to submit their cover letter and resume to HR@FortisOntario.com by 4:00PM on JUNE 19, 2020. Please indicate “API - FORESTRY SUPERVISOR” in the subject line.
We thank all respondents but we will only contact those selected for an interview.
Algoma Power Inc. is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities and will provide accommodation when requested
Algoma Power Inc. is an inclusive employer and committed to Accessibility