Purpose of Position:
Sault Area Hospital is currently recruiting a Patient Care Supervisor to join our leadership team. Reporting to the Patient Care Manager, you will supervise and direct the activities of daily operations in Transitional Outpatient Mental Health Services ensuring safe, high quality, patient focused care is provided. This role will support operations across the continuum of MH&A services . The Supervisor will provide supervisory, technical and clinical support for staff, ensure compliance with all applicable policies and regulations, establish work plans and develop cooperative and productive work teams. The supervisor will act as a point of contact for departmental staff and other hospital departments. The supervisor will also be part of a larger team of Patient Care Supervisors and will assist in supporting other services as needed.
1. Directly supervise the activities of assigned employees and ensure employees are compliant with policies, standards and proper guidelines in the performance of their duties.
2. Provide technical support for assigned staff for matters of a procedural, legislative, quality or patient confidentiality nature, as applicable.
3. Develop cooperative and productive team relationships within the department, fostering a climate of teamwork, compassion, excellence and integrity.
4. Participate in hiring activities and decisions, in collaboration with Patient Care Manager.
5. Conduct Performance Reviews for assigned staff.
6. Manage performance of staff including provision of feedback and coaching, corrective action or administering discipline as required.
7. Administer initial steps of the attendance improvement program.
8. Accountable for Health and Safety monitoring of the unit.
9. Accountable for follow up and corrective actions related to patient and employee incidents.
10. Prepare for and represent the hospital at grievance meetings.
11. Lead daily performance huddles and bullet rounds.
12. Support process and service improvement initiatives by identifying opportunities and, leading efforts both with staff and other departments.
13. Conduct leader rounding of patients, staff and physicians, providing feedback as required.
14. Review daily metrics, communicate to staff, and develop action plans for course correction as required
15. Prioritize workload in own area.
16. Function as a role model demonstrating good interpersonal skills and a commitment to self-growth and development.
17. Support process improvement initiatives and look for opportunities to improve processes.
18. Assume any other duties as assigned.
• Degree or diploma in a regulated health profession with a current registration in good standing with a Professional College.
• Minimum of three (3) years’ recent patient care experience in a mental health setting.
Skills & Abilities:
• Proven ability to lead a multidisciplinary team in a fast paced, sometimes stressful environment.
• Ability to maintain successful working relationships with the interdisciplinary team to achieve positive patient outcomes
• Ability to work with community partners to assist with transitions in care for individuals and family members with mental health and/or addictions conditions
• Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills, with staff, physicians, co-workers including conflict resolution and relationship building skills.
• Demonstrated orientation toward patient centered care and customer service.
• Demonstrates behaviour consistent with Hospital Mission, Values and Standards of Performance.
• Demonstrates interpersonal sensitivity including empathy, sensitivity, and understanding of human and organizational behavior, motivational techniques and counseling skills.
• Demonstrates experience in a team environment including ability to provide direction, make priority decisions, and supervising staff.
• Demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to identify and implement remedies in the workplace.
• Knowledge of relevant legislation, organizational and professional standards.
• Ability to work independently, think creatively, take initiative and manage own time to perform the duties of the position.
• Displays strong initiative and can establish personal goals and take responsibility for meeting them within defined timeline.
• Ability to compile schedules and prepare work assignments in accordance with organizational policies, and interpret and apply Collective Agreements language.
• Demonstrated proficiency in a Microsoft environment. Experience with Meditech preferred.
Note: Because of the changing nature of the work and work to be done, other responsibilities and duties may be assigned and qualifications may be adjusted from time to time. Only those selected for testing/interview will be contacted.
Note: All new employees shall be fully vaccinated against COVID 19-prior to their start date. For clarity, fully vaccinated means that 14 days have elapsed after completion of your vaccine series (i.e. full two doses). The Hospital’s Occupational Health team will require evidence of full vaccination prior to an employee’s start date. If not fully vaccinated, the Hospital’s Occupational Health team can assist successful applicants with setting up the necessary appointments to become fully vaccinated, but any start date may be delayed to the date on which a successful applicant becomes fully vaccinated. The hospital’s requirement that successful applicants be fully vaccinated is subject to any accommodation obligations it may have under the Human Rights Code. Employees shall also be required to obtain boosters or other vaccinations related to COVID-19, as deemed necessary by the Hospital, and any failure to do so will be considered willful misconduct and/or disobedience and will result in the termination of the Employee’s employment without notice or pay in lieu thereof.
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please send a cover letter and resume outlining how your knowledge, experience, and skills are a good fit with the requirements of this position.
Sault Area Hospital is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity, equal opportunity and maintaining a barrier-free selection process for job applicants. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known to the Human Resources department when contacted. All requests are handled confidentially.