The Sault Ste. Marie Region Conservation Authority is seeking an experienced manager to assume a strong leadership role for the organization.
The General Manager / Secretary-Treasurer (GM) is responsible for the performance of the organization, the success of its operations and achieving its strategic directions and will focus on the ongoing improvement of the organization. The GM is the team leader, responsible for formulating as well as directing and coordinating the execution of SSMRCA’s total administrative, technical, and field programs in compliance with Authority and provincial policy and procedure.
- Be responsible for administration and coordination of all SSMRCA programs.
- Carry out the responsibilities of the Secretary-Treasurer as set out in the Conservation Authorities Act.
- In consultation with the Chair, direct the preparation of agendas and meeting materials for Board of Directors, and any sub-committee, meetings.
- Prepare and present reports to the Board of Directors on program status, budget, current and emerging issues, recommended policy and procedure decisions and alternatives (including legal requirements/implications).
- Develop, for approval by the Board of Directors:
- short and long-term strategic plans;
- new initiatives and refinements to existing programs; and
- SSMRCA policies, procedures, and guidelines to ensure compliance with government legislation and delivery of SSMRCA programs in a manner that complies with legislation and applicable laws.
- Act as the official staff contact and liaise with the SSMRCA Board of Directors, member municipalities, media, public, Conservation Ontario (CO), Provincial Ministry officials and government agencies, and other organizations to maintain a good working relationship.
- Participate in technical studies and operations as necessary
- Nurture existing partnerships, explore new opportunities, and forge new partnerships.
- Provide leadership and be responsible for the overall direction of all staff, consultants, contractors, and other professional firms employed by SSMRCA, and provide direction and guidance to SSMRCA staff. Oversee the hiring of all staff, in accordance with SSMRCA’s policies.
- Be responsible for and provide direction for the preparation of the annual budget and business plan.
- Ensure the implementation of appropriate financial and accounting policies and reporting procedures as well as related functions.
- Authorize expenditures according to SSMRCA’s purchasing policy and the annual budget.
- Oversee all legal matters of the Authority.
- Represent the SSMRCA on external committees and attend workshops and conferences, as required.
- Adhere with all SSMRCA policies and procedures and ensure that all SSMRCA staff, contractors, other agencies, or volunteers undertaking work on behalf of SSMRCA, adhere with SSMRCA policies.
- Perform other related duties as directed by the Board of Directors.
- A degree from a recognized university, preferably in the environmental/natural resources discipline
- Proven leadership skills in the environmental/natural resources field, with at least 7 years of experience related to the key job duties
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to apply practical experience and knowledge to assist in technical operations
- Thorough understanding of public administration and experience working with boards and committees
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, tact, and judgment
- Highly developed analytical, organizational, and administrative skills and practices
- Ability to develop and maintain positive relationships with the public, media, and community organizations
- Demonstrated experience working in collaborative partnerships
- Valid driver’s license within the Province of Ontario
- Satisfactory police check and driver abstract
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Workplace is located at the Sault Ste. Marie Region Conservation Authority office at 1100 Fifth Line East, Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
- Permanent, full-time position (35 hours/week)
- Wage Rate $75,000 – $86,000
- Anticipated start date: May 6, 2019
HOW TO APPLY:
View this Job Opportunity on our web site
Mail or email your cover letter clearly marked “General Manager/Secretary-Treasurer”, along with your resume by Friday April 5, 2019 at 4pm to:
Chair, Board of Directors
Sault Ste. Marie Region Conservation Authority
1100 Fifth Line East, Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario P6A 6J8
The Sault Ste. Marie Region Conservation Authority is an equal opportunity employer in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code.
LTC will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection, and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities.
Personal information provided is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.