Employment Opportunity for position of : Land Use Planner/Secretary Treasurer
Reference Number – 011-2018
The Sault North Planning Board has an exciting employment opportunity for a full time Land Use Planner/Secretary Treasurer. The Board provides planning services for 31 unorganized townships located north of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Review development proposals for Official Plan, Zoning and Provincial Policy conformity.
- Review, process and evaluate Planning Act applications, including Official Plan amendments, zoning by-law amendments, minor variances, consents, and letters of conformity.
- Prepare detailed reports on development applications; attend Board meetings to present findings, evidence based options and recommendations for Board review and approval as well as assuming Secretary-Treasurer Duties.
- Research, collect and consolidate information on a variety of planning projects, initiatives and best practices, as directed by the Board.
- Provide information to the public regarding development regulations.
- Conduct area site visits and attend off-site meetings and information sessions.
- Take leadership with community planning assignments.
- Represents the Sault North Planning Board at OMB hearings and other events.
- Perform other duties as required or assigned.
- University degree and/or College Diploma in Urban and Regional Planning, Geography, Environmental Studies or a related discipline.
- An understanding of Ontario’s planning legislation, processes and best practices.
- 1-3 years of work experience in planning or a related field.
- Eligibility for membership with the Ontario Professional Planners Institute (OPPI).
- Experience working with ArcView GIS/mapping software, as well as managing financial resources and budgets, would be an asset.
You have demonstrated:
- Excellent written, and verbal communication skills to prepare summaries, develop technical reports, prepare correspondence and draft briefing material.
- Well-developed interpersonal, facilitation and organizational skills with a strong commitment to customer service.
- Effective consultation and presentation skills to lead groups, and exchange information.
- Proficient computer skills using a variety of software such as Microsoft (M/S) word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software.
- Ability to work on several projects or issues simultaneously.
- A valid Driver’s License recognized by the Province of Ontario and use of a vehicle.
The Planner works in a team environment while also exercising a high level of initiative and independence. Starting wage range is $40,000. to $50,000, which is negotiable, based on experience and education. Employment benefits and conditions are negotiable based on experience and education.
How to apply:
Please reference the Sault North Planning Board’s website at www.saultnorthplanningboard.ca for a more detailed position summary.
Qualified Candidates are invited to forward their resume in confidence by January 5, 2018 at 4:00 p.m., identifying Planner Position in the subject line to the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Sault North Planning Board is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.