PLANNER - MECHANICAL
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario Canada
For over a century Algoma has a proud history and strong traditions of being an industry leading manufacturer of hot and cold rolled sheet steels in carbon and high strength low-alloy grades and we are Canada’s only plate producer. We are integral to the making of many of our modern day buildings, products and appliances. Our steel is used in construction, mining, manufacturing, automotive, shipbuilding, energy resources including renewable energy and military applications throughout North America. Today’s steel industry is rapidly evolving and so are we, bringing new products to market that our customers need for their success. We are inviting everyone who has a talent and drive for superior performance, a desire to be part of a team of steel industry professionals focused on transforming our company to continue our century long tradition of delivering high quality steel products to our customers, improving the quality of life for our community, demonstrating industry-leading environmental stewardship and providing rich and rewarding careers for our employees.
The successful candidate will be responsible will report to the Superintendent – Maintenance.
- Responsible for maintaining equipment maintenance programs (including benchmark predictive / preventive, corrective maintenance systems) in line with the maintenance practices and procedures and ISO standards.
- Develops and evaluates Benchmark PM's, Benchmark Corrective work orders, and work procedures.
- Plans work orders as assigned, including development of PM's, repetitive and non-repetitive corrective work, and Continuous Improvement Projects (CIP) projects.
- Prepares work orders for cost approval and subsequent execution. Details include: job scope, man-hour estimates, job schedule (timeline), practices, procedures, permits, materials, parts, and equipment / services.
- Prepares daily and weekly work order schedules with involvement of Front Line Supervisor.
- Co-ordinates downtime attends and conducts meetings related to planned work.
- Reviews and reports on the backlog of maintenance Work Orders, Shop Orders, and Purchase Orders.
- Monitors and reconciles all aspects of work orders with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Participates with Front Line Supervisor in reconciling the root cause of equipment failure.
- Ensures disposition / repair of all loanable and non-inventory spare parts.
- Participates in evaluation for / of spare parts to assess and initiate adjustment of inventory levels of spare parts.
- Researches and defines technical specification for the purchase of / or replacement of parts.
- Tracks key spare assemblies / components / parts.
- Establish and maintain technical standards, equipment specification records, and equipment / assembly BOM's.
- Co-ordinates and plans facility shutdowns.
- Initiates and/or creates sketches for planned repairs.
- Maintains drawings, records, and resource material with respect to planned maintenance.
- Required to replace Front Line Supervisor during vacations or other off-line periods or supervise tradesmen as directed.
Core Competencies and Skills Required
- Must have a minimum three (3) year Mechanical Technology diploma or a Mechanical trade certificate OR at least three years related experience in a maintenance environment.
- Possess sound technical and related trade knowledge.
- Understand the principles of equipment reliability.
- Possess familiarity with maintenance methodology, practices and procedures.
- Demonstrate good problem solving skills.
- Be a self-starter and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, organizational and leadership skills
- Demonstrated knowledge and commitment to Health, Safety and Environmental policies.
- Strong computer skills and experience with systems including Microsoft Office (outlook, word, excel, project)
- Experience with SAP is a definite asset.
- This position requires the ability to climb and work at heights.
If you meet the qualifications for this position and are committed to a challenging career with a dynamic company, in a community that offers superior quality of life, please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing the job title in the subject line.
To learn more about our company, please visit www.algoma.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in our workplace. Accommodation is available for applicants with a disability. We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those candidates that are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Fulltime Permanent Unionized Position
Work week – 40 hours
Salary Range - $67,200 to $84,000 (depending upon experience)
Extended Health Benefits package, Profit Sharing and a Defined Contribution Pension Plan