Date: December 21, 2018
Position: Chief Executive Officer, YMCA of Sault Ste. Marie
Reports To: Board of Directors
Placement Date: April, 2019
Location: Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
Salary: Commensurate to Experience
Nature and Scope of Position:
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Chief Executive Officer is responsible to lead the YMCA of Sault Ste. Marie and all of its components in accordance with the strategic plan, annual operating plan, and governance policies established by the Board of Directors. The Chief Executive Officer leads a team of approximately 120 full and part-time employees and 100+ volunteers, and manages an operating budget of $4 million.
The Chief Executive Officer will coach, support and develop the YMCA’s management team who are responsible for the delivery of YMCA Health Fitness and Aquatics, Child Care, Day Camp, and Community programs for approximately 3,500 members and additional participants in community-based programs and services.
Known as the gateway to the north, Sault Ste. Marie is a transportation and manufacturing hub located on the shore of Lake Superior. A border city (with Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan) with a population of 80,000, it has a developed steel industry and is home to the Sault locks. It is a friendly, family-oriented community close to nature, offering an excellent environment for a lifestyle that balances work and life. The Chief Executive Officer is expected to create a work environment at the YMCA of Sault Ste. Marie that promotes and emphasizes equality, equity and fairness for all staff and volunteers along with creating a community destination that is accessible to all residence of Sault Ste. Marie and area, to build healthier lives in the community.
In addition, the Board seeks an individual who has experience in change management and is excited by the prospect of a providing leadership to the organization in an environment of diverse priorities, a mixed economy challenged by tight labor markets and socio-economic disparity. It is expected that this unique situation will challenge this leader to grow and sustain the organization’s financial, participant and philanthropic base within the community with the resources to embrace a robust vision for the future, while working to further integrate the resources, systems, and leadership across this region of Northern Ontario.
The Association is linked to other Associations through the YMCA Canada Federation Network, is an active participant with other YMCA organizations in the region, working together to support initiatives intended to position the YMCA for a sustainable future across this region of Ontario.
- Provide focused, decisive leadership to ensure continuous improvement in operations
- Develop an operational plan that incorporates the goals and objectives of the strategic direction of the YMCA
- Bring vision, innovation, and solutions-oriented leadership to ensure YMCA mission success while maintaining Association sustainability
- Cultivate a strong and transparent working relationship with the Board of Directors
- Ensure the financial health and long-term viability of the Association is maintained by providing outstanding stewardship, safeguarding the Association’s resources. Ensures the proper internal controls are in place and management information systems provide value-added capability
- Ensure the Association is meeting all legal obligations for the operation of a provincially incorporated charity including its obligations to employees, funders, donors, and all obligations of the federation of Canadian YMCAs
- Cultivate a high-performing leadership team in a values-based culture
- Provide executive leadership for the facility development and the growth of effective community based programs and services
- Champion philanthropy and capital fundraising plans leveraging YMCA association resources and volunteer expertise
- Create and enhance community partnerships that grow the Association and provide more programs and services to create a broad, vibrant and healthy community
- Develop and maintain critical relationships with community, government, and funder stakeholders
- Be an active participant in the YMCA network
- Represent the Association publicly as an official spokesperson
Key Skills and Qualifications
- Post-secondary education in business administration/commerce or a relevant field with executive/senior management experience.
- 5 years of progressive management responsibility and experience in a multi- faceted organization
- Commitment to life-long learning
- Knowledge of and experience with leadership and management principles as they relate to operating not for profit or charity organizations; experience in the YMCA network is an asset
- Knowledge of and appreciation for the mission, vision and values of the YMCA
- A clear working understanding of Board governance, policy and strategy roles as distinct from operational accountabilities
- Experience in development including activation of a successful community fundraising campaign
- Demonstrated experience in supervising, coaching and leading a dedicated, competent, professional staff team
- Excellent track record in financial management, program growth and development, community partnerships, philanthropy, and human resources strategies
- Facility management experience is an asset
The Chief Executive Officer should demonstrate competence in:
- Relationship Building and Collaboration: Sets the organization’s strategic direction for partnering, strategically networks and works collaboratively across organizational boundaries.
- Results-Orientation: The ability to lead, manage and achieve identified challenging goals to further the organization’s mission, vision and growth
- Business Orientation: Develops plans and takes action with a view to developing programs and services that will generate results
- Sense of Community: Demonstrates an awareness and understanding of community and responds to identified needs
- Systems Thinking: Ability to see the “big picture”, understand how situations and parts relate to one another
- Integrity and Trust: Demonstrates responsible and reliable behavior at all times
- Influencing/Managing Change: Creates and inspires a vision for success and remains focused on strategic outcomes
- Teamwork: Actively builds teams and encourages positive and productive relationships for maximum organizational effectiveness.
- Diversity and Inclusion: Appreciates that people from different cultures and with different opinions, backgrounds, characteristics and abilities enrich the YMCA and fosters a sense of belonging
This is an excellent opportunity for a strategic and results-oriented leader with a minimum of 5-10 years management experience in a small to mid-sized YMCA, a complex not-for-profit, a private corporation or public sector organization.
Interested candidates are invited to forward their resume along with a covering letter in strict confidence by Friday, January 25 th , 2019 to:
CEO Search Committee - YMCA of Sault Ste. Marie
To the Attention of: Jim Janzen, Senior Vice-President, YMCA Ontario
YMCA Ontario Regional Development Centre
2200 Yonge Street, Suite 300
Toronto, ON, M4S 2C6
A complete job description is available at www.sault.ymca.ca/
Candidates should note that offers of employment are contingent upon the completion of a satisfactory Police Records Check that includes a vulnerable sector screen, in addition to the completion of a satisfactory professional Reference Check.