On December 5, 2018, Sault Ste. Marie fire crews received a call of a residential fire in the city's west-end. At 6 p.m., fire crews responded to a fire in a single family dwelling located in the 600 block of Queen Street West.
Upon arrival crews determined the fire to be in the kitchen area of the residence. Fire crews were able to contain the fire. PUC was also on scene.
Further investigation revealed the fire originated from a pot of oil left on the stove. Sault Fire Services would like to remind all citizens to never leave cooking unattended as well as to limit the use of cooking oils.
The fire is not considered to be suspicious in nature. There is extensive fire damage to the residence. There were no injuries to report.