Police investigate threat related to Rob Ford
The Canadian PressMonday, August 11, 2014
TORONTO - Police were dispatched to Toronto city hall Monday as Mayor Rob Ford revealed a threat was made to bomb the building unless he resigned, but no evacuation was ordered or explosive materials found.
Toronto police spokesman Const. David Hopkinson said officers were sent to the building after city hall security informed them of the threat in the morning. Police earlier said they were first notified Sunday night.
Police didn't evacuate the building and Insp. Frank Barredo said later Monday that a bomb-sniffing dog found no evidence of any explosive devices.
Ford announced the threat to reporters, saying it had been sent in an email to his brother, Coun. Doug Ford, on Sunday night.
The mayor held up a copy the typo-ridden note, which says there has been "chaos" since Ford returned from rehab in late June.
"He has 12 hours to vacate otherwise city hall will blow. I have already set up explosive around."
Ford said he wasn't fazed by the threat.
"I'm moving on. Business as usual. Obviously the police will be around and the police (will) handle this from here on in," he said.
Ford also defended going public about the email.
"When I get something this serious sent to my brother's office and to the deputy mayor's office it's only proper that the mayor of the city addresses this."
Coun. Paula Fletcher said there is a protocol dealing with threats which doesn't restrict officials from revealing them. But she said she hopes Ford knew the threat wasn't real before he announced it.
"I hope he's followed what I would call the good rules, or good common sense. And since we're still here in the building I'm going to assume it was just an angry letter from a disturbed individual."
City of Toronto spokeswoman Wynna Brown said in an email Monday afternoon that police were "conducting a thorough investigation in co-ordination with city hall security."
The controversial mayor has faced numerous calls for his resignation amid admissions of drug use, alcohol addiction and various instances of being caught on tape making offensive comments.
But he's brushed them all aside and is running in the October 27th election to remain in the mayor's chair.