Injured Mounties thank public for support
The Canadian PressThursday, July 24, 2014
MONCTON, N.B. - The two RCMP officers in New Brunswick who were wounded in shootings last month that also killed three of their colleagues are expressing gratitude for the public's support.
The RCMP released statements Thursday from constables Eric Dubois and Darlene Goguen, who were shot on June 4 while they were pursuing an armed suspect in Moncton.
Dubois said he is thankful for the comforting notes he received from across Canada and the United States while he was recuperating.
"It was truly appreciated, so good for my morale and helped immensely with the healing process," Dubois said.
Goguen said she continues to recover from her injuries and is grateful for the public's encouragement and prayers.
"Without these prayers, the road to recovery would not have been possible," she said.
Both Dubois and Goguen were treated and released from hospital in the days after the shootings.
Constables Fabrice Gevaudan, Douglas Larche and Dave Ross were shot dead and a manhunt spanning 30 hours ensued until a suspect was arrested.
Justin Bourque is charged with three counts of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder. He is scheduled to return to provincial court next Thursday following a psychiatric assessment.
The RCMP have also launched an internal review into the circumstances surrounding the shootings.