Bacon spread made in Edmonton recalled
OTTAWA - A bacon jam produced in Edmonton is being pulled from store shelves because it may allow the growth of a bacteria that causes botulism.
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency warns consumers not to eat the spread which is labelled Bacon by Brad Smoliak.
The product from food company Kitchen by Brad was sold in Alberta in 125-gram and 125-millilitre sizes.
Best before dates are March 14 and July 14, but consumers are urged to return the spread to where they bought it or throw it out.
Food contaminated with Clostridium botulinum toxin may not look or smell spoiled but can still make you sick.
Symptoms can include nausea, vomiting, fatigue, dizziness, blurred or double vision, dry mouth, respiratory failure, paralysis and, in severe cases, people can die.
Smoliak says on his website that there have been no reported illnesses associated with the product.
He says it was not made in his kitchen but at an off-site manufacturing facility.
"I deeply regret the concern and uncertainty this may cause you," he says. "I am a chef that lives in a culture of food safety. I have an unwavering commitment to keeping your food safe with standards that go beyond regulatory requirements. I acknowledge that my best efforts failed and I am sorry."
The recall does not include any other products from Kitchen by Brad.