Feds to review Ernest Fenwick MacIntosh case
OTTAWA - The federal government says it will conduct an internal review of its involvement in the case of Ernest Fenwick MacIntosh.
The former Cape Breton businessman had 17 sexual abuse convictions thrown out when the Nova Scotia Court of Appeal ruled that his case took too long to get to trial.
The Supreme Court of Canada upheld that decision earlier this year, saying the 14-year delay it took to bring the matter to trial was unreasonable.
MacIntosh was in India working as a consultant when the sex abuse allegations first surfaced in 1995, but he wasn't extradited to Canada until 2007 and his first trial didn't start until 2010.
Justice Minister Peter MacKay says the review's findings will be made public by Oct. 31.