Weather

Current Conditions
-1.4C
Clear
Today's Forecast
-7C
Chance of rain showers or flurries
Sponsored by Highland Ford

News And Views

Classifieds

Announcements

Entertainment

Shop Local

More Local

Search The Web

Google Search

Notice from PUC about your funky water

By SooToday.com Staff
SooToday.com
Wednesday, November 09, 2011

NEWS RELEASE

SAULT STE. MARIE PUC

*****************************
Conversion to free chlorine disinfection

This is a notice from the Public Utilities Commission to all consumers of municipal drinking water within the City of Sault Ste. Marie and Rankin Reserve regarding the recent conversion to free chlorine disinfection in the distribution system.

There are still some consumers experiencing objectionable chlorine taste or odour concerns.

The occurrence of chlorine-related taste and/or odour is quite normal and is now likely due to the temporarily high dosage rate of chlorine being used at this time.

At the outset of the conversion process we set the chlorine dosage at a high level to ensure that disinfection levels were sufficiently high everywhere in the water distribution system to ensure safe drinking water for all consumers.

The safety of our water service and those who use it has always been the most important consideration in this changeover.

We understand that taste and odour may have become objectionable to some consumers as a result of the relatively high chlorine levels.

We have now started to reduce the chlorine dosage and will continue to lower the dosage gradually over the next several weeks and potentially several months to the lowest level possible that still meets regulatory requirements.

We will carry out this reduction as quickly as possible, but delivery of safe drinking water to all consumers will always take priority.

The water is and always has been safe for consumption straight from the tap.

The water meets and has always met all Ministry of Environment prescribed criteria for drinking water supply.

For people that find the chlorine odour or taste objectionable, the easiest and most effective way to eliminate noticeable chlorine is to put a pitcher of water in the refrigerator (or on the counter) and let it stand for several hours before consuming.

Any noticeable chlorine taste or odour should disappear.

There is no need to boil the water, and boiling is of no benefit.

We regret any inconvenience to our customers.

We will work as quickly as possible to improve taste and odour while maintaining a safe and secure water supply.

We wish to thank all our customers for their understanding and cooperation throughout this process.

*****************************
Advertising | Membership | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | About SooToday.com | Contact Us | Feedback

Copyright ©2014 SooToday.com - All rights reserved