Shots were fired in this Queen Street building (3 photos)Saturday, August 02, 2014 by: Darren Taylor
The walls of many old buildings in Sault Ste. Marie, if they could speak, would have many stories to tell.
The basement and storage room of Showstoppers (pictured) at 797 Queen Street East was once a firing range for members of the Algoma Rod & Gun Club.
The ceiling is little more than six feet high, the former shooting range about 12 feet wide, and approximately 150 feet long.
Al Payette, owner and operator of Showstoppers, told SooToday.com the building housed the firing range when Hogan Office Equipment moved into the building back in 1974.
Payette said he was told complaints about the noise of the gunshots eventually led the club to find another home.
The Algoma Rod & Gun Club is currently located at 226 Connor Road.
Payette’s Showstoppers, a party rental and retail store, has been located at 797 Queen Street East since 2009.
The property at 797 Queen Street East has a long history, and has been home to a wide variety of businesses.
From 1901 to 1909 it was the home of Gillard and Company Whole Grocers, followed by Lake of the Woods Flour Milling from 1910 to 1912.
During the First World War (1914-1918) it served as an office for a Canadian Army unit (227 Battery).
Mahon Furniture and Undertaker occupied the building from 1919 to 1923, followed by Rothschild Brewer’s Agent in 1925 and Plummer and Ferguson Hardware in 1928-1929.
Gray Beauty Parlour operated in the building from 1930 to 1945, followed by Howe Hairdresser from 1947 to 1950, while Kordick Photography used the building for a year beginning in 1951.
The location was home to a warehouse for Rooney and Mervyn food wholesalers from 1953 to 1969, then Canadian Home Furnishings beginning in 1970, replaced by Hogan Office Equipment in 1974.
(With thanks to Al Payette of Showstoppers)