What do the Hub Trail, the Soo Locks and Pancake Bay have in common?Wednesday, July 23, 2014 by: Donna Hopper
Each year at this time, Lake Superior Magazine publishes its Best of the Lake list as determined by its readers.
The current August/September issue of Lake Superior Magazine features the Best of the Lake: 2014.
The list includes some of Lake Superior's finest spots for dining, lodging, sightseeing and hiking, swimming, and shopping in Ontario, Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin.
More than 1,200 travellers from across North America voted, and once again a number of Algoma District and Michigan Upper Peninsula spots were chosen as the best of Lake Superior.
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario attractions, including the Hub Trail (Best In-Town Hike), the Canadian Bushplane Heritage Centre (Best Art Gallery/Museum), and the Downtown/Waterfront district (Best Shopping Experience) found themselves on the annual honour list.
Additional area winners include:
Best Toe-Dipping Beach
- Pancake Bay, Ontario
- Tahquamenon Falls, Michigan
Best Family Attraction
- Soo Locks, Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan
- Lake Superior Provincial Park, Wawa, Ontario
- Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Michigan
Best Local Fish Dish or Fish Sandwich
- Friday night fish fry at the Voyageurs' Lodge Cookhouse, Batchawana Bay, Ontario
- Whitefish at the Vierling Restaurant, Marquette, Michigan
- Agawa Indian Crafts/Canadian Carver, Pancake Bay, Ontario
- Young's General Store, Wawa, Ontario
- Che Bello Boutique, Marquette, Michigan
Best Art Gallery/Museum
- Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum, Whitefish Point, Michigan
Best Staff, Restaurant or Lodging
- The Voyageurs' Lodge and Cookhouse, Batchawana Bay, Ontario
Best Overnight Stay
- Landmark Inn, Marquette, Michigan
Best Shopping Experience
- Downtown Marquette
Best Annual Event
- U.P. Beer Festival, Marquette, Michigan
- Art on the Rocks, Marquette, Michigan
Best Boat Ride
- Soo Locks Boat Tours, Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan
For a complete list of this year's Best of the Lake winners, please click here.
Lake Superior Magazine is a family-owned publication with offices and an outlet store located at 310 E. Superior St. in Duluth, Minnesota.